Smallmouth bass is acting weird

trick1441

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Minnesota
So I have a smallmouth bass in the pond in my back yard and I noticed today it was acting weird. Recently it has been pretty cold here and the water temp has dropped dramatically. The smallmouth is just kind of moving really slow and seems really lethargic. It even let me touch it when normally if I came near the pond it would go hide in cover. Do people think this could just be from the cold water and its just kind of in winter mode or could there be something else wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

303mfk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2011
Colorado
So I have a smallmouth bass in the pond in my back yard and I noticed today it was acting weird. Recently it has been pretty cold here and the water temp has dropped dramatically. The smallmouth is just kind of moving really slow and seems really lethargic. It even let me touch it when normally if I came near the pond it would go hide in cover. Do people think this could just be from the cold water and its just kind of in winter mode or could there be something else wrong?

Probably out prepping for winter. Though they are found in northern areas of canada which im sure are cold

Sent from my DROID2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

trick1441

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Minnesota
Alright thanks I hope so. I'll monitor him for awhile I may have to bring him in the house soon. The only reason it is in the pond is because it got way to aggressive towards the others. Anyone interested in it?

EsoxPredator90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2011
England
my pike do this in winter, add as much aereation and flow as you can, gets them moving again and they seem to come back too life, in my 5500 gallon pond i add a few wavemakers 4000lph+ and a 1000lph air pump with a huge air stone, done this every winter for the last 6 years, and i live in northern england last winter went down to -15 degrees for a while, hope this helps :) oh and i bring the small under 8" pike indoors in a few, 100 gallon koi holding tanks and they do fine for 3/4 months, feed every 3/4 days :) then spring release them back to the pond

EsoxPredator90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2011
England
Yes -15 degrees and the movement in the water from the strong power heads, stops it freezing and with the air pump fizzing away stops ice forming on water surface it has worked for me for many years

EsoxPredator90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2011
England
Water can't freeze if its fast moving and I have used this method every winter also get a good air pump with a big air stone keeps the water surface moving my pike are always loads better when I add these bits to the pond in winter

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store