Smell around tank! Help!

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
Actually......no one has asked this nor have you disclosed: Is this strong smell something new, or has it always been this way? How long has the tank been running?
smell sort of started 3-4weeks in to starting the tank but it was periodic. The tanks been up for 6 1/2months. I think it is just the gunk in the sump. I will clean it out and see if that works. Keep the ideas coming guys! I really appreciate it!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Is that mold coming through the white paint behind the stand? I've never had a sump stink and the water in the tank smell fine. Well once, but that was from food getting sucked into the sump, splashing up above the water line in the filter box, and rotting in open air.
Also, is the sump elevated at all? I started keeping them off the floor after having wicked mold issues from small spills that seeped under my sump.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
Is that mold coming through the white paint behind the stand? I've never had a sump stink and the water in the tank smell fine. Well once, but that was from food getting sucked into the sump, splashing up above the water line in the filter box, and rotting in open air.
Also, is the sump elevated at all? I started keeping them off the floor after having wicked mold issues from small spills that seeped under my sump.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
yeah, the sump is open top for rhe moment so a little mold is their. gonna clean it off and thw bottom of the sump tomorrow.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Why would k1 stink?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
A lot of people use K1... I use it and my water doesn't smell. I'm thinking maybe your tank could be lacking bacteria for the bioload.. Got enough media for their growth? Remember you can kill off all your bacteria in your filters from lack of oxygen or maybe a big water change where the chlorine in the tapwater is strong enough to kill it off. Water companies will add more during heavy rain falls... Sometimes you can smell how strong it is. How often do you water change? And how much do you change? I've had this problem and it all came down to my bacteria colonies getting killed off. Got them back and the smell went away. Remember if waste builds up to much on your media .. You can suffocate all your good bacteria. If your tank smells like swamp water you should do a big water change/ siphon the gravel of waste/ cut back on feeding for acouple days and see if the smell goes away. Swamp water smell is a good indication of waste not breaking down right.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
A lot of people use K1... I use it and my water doesn't smell. I'm thinking maybe your tank could be lacking bacteria for the bioload.. Got enough media for their growth? Remember you can kill off all your bacteria in your filters from lack of oxygen or maybe a big water change where the chlorine in the tapwater is strong enough to kill it off. Water companies will add more during heavy rain falls... Sometimes you can smell how strong it is. How often do you water change? And how much do you change? I've had this problem and it all came down to my bacteria colonies getting killed off. Got them back and the smell went away. Remember if waste builds up to much on your media .. You can suffocate all your good bacteria. If your tank smells like swamp water you should do a big water change/ siphon the gravel of waste/ cut back on feeding for acouple days and see if the smell goes away. Swamp water smell is a good indication of waste not breaking down right.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Hi,

Thanks for the response.
I'm quite familiar with the nitrogen cycle and the bacteria production etc. My water tests perfect. I do weekly water changes but the water is dosed accordingly before it hits the sump. this is too insure that no chlorine touches my meda. I run a tonne of filteration on this tank. An fx6, a sump with a 10,000lph return pump on it. As well as a powerhead for flow and an internal filter that does 800liters per hour.

From what I know, media can start releasing smell if kept stagnant. That doesn't explain the smell though as I have a 960lPH air pump running on the sump and powerhead.

The fish are growing explosively which is why I'm getting their next home ready which is a tropical pond.

I don't think it's the bacteria colony but I have an easy way of checking that and I'll let you guys know!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store