smooth hound tank

Biomatic

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2015
Your dimensions are much better than the 300 or less gallons that most of the smoothhounds seem start out in and it's great you're asking about it before getting one first.
well dropping a few hundred on a shark is some thing you should have planned out i have made the mistake of getting fish that would fit later and will not do that ever again especially for a 6 foot plus shark

Stephen Clark

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
This thread is diving me nuts. Common names are way general with doggie. I am currently setting up a 2k gallon pond. Where are you planning to collect or buy the dog for should be the real question.

Stephen Clark

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
well dropping a few hundred on a shark is some thing you should have planned out i have made the mistake of getting fish that would fit later and will not do that ever again especially for a 6 foot plus shark
The species around me do not get to 6 feet! Leah has caught several smooth hounds in NJ that would qualify for state records. Non of them were close to 6 feet!

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I have video of smooth hounds from the east coast (NJ). I haven't posted enough times to post a link but if you search smooth dogfish adult vs pup it should show up. If not let me know I will post a link in a few days. The ones here prefer warm water.

This one?

turbo253

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
new york
10 foot x 6 foot footprint wouldn't be all that bad for a smooth hound if the tank is oval. might be a little tight for a large adult but for the most part it should do pretty well. As most captive smooth hounds I ever see are only around 30" or so. Of course a 12' round pond would be better but it could be done in this size tank. If you guys really want me to get into foot prints, swim glide patterns and how these pups normally develop in the home aquarium I will.

Riley S

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2014
Minneapolis
How would you change your thoughts if they were looking into a banded houndshark instead of a smoothhound?

Riley S

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2014
Minneapolis
I hear you on the common names. I was referring to Triakis scyllium as the banded houndshark - aka japanese leopard. They are smaller than the Califonia leopard, Triakis semifasciata, with a size closer to the gray smoothhound, Mustelus californicus. There isn't much info on the banded houndsharks as there is for smoothhounds, and I think Turbo may have kept them in the past. I can assume everything is similar, but it's always nice to get personal insight as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store