Snails

Mem

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2006
Jersey
A friend has mollies as well as swordtail in a trop community tank (40something gallon) and seems to have a snail problem. He tried the lettuce leaf and pull them out way and it didnt work. Trying to avoid chemicals.... anything that can be a tankmate to those type of fish that eats snails? Not a monster question but I'm hoping someone might have an idea.

jenBLKAROWANA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
A friend has mollies as well as swordtail in a trop community tank (40something gallon) and seems to have a snail problem. He tried the lettuce leaf and pull them out way and it didnt work. Trying to avoid chemicals.... anything that can be a tankmate to those type of fish that eats snails? Not a monster question but I'm hoping someone might have an idea.

Clown loaches love snails, and will eat them up! I would try them....

Jen ;)

Mem

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2006
Jersey
Thats a good idea. As I recall they are peaceful community types and get to 3-5 inches. Sound about right? Thanks for the great idea!

Got hooked on my monsters and forgot about the little friendly ones. :)

Mem

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2006
Jersey
Just checking some info on the loaches....(Clown Loaches can reach a size of 10 to 12 inches at maturity.) Seems a bit large for a 40some gallon stocked with mollies. I guess if nothing else they can clean up his tank and become tankmates somewhere else in the future if need be.

dysfunctionaljd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2006
Austin, TX
Cloan loaches get alot bigger than 3.5 inches. I have seen a few about a foot long, but it takes them forever to get there. Everything I have read is that they prefer company of other clowns, though not sure its required for survival. Just things to consider before getting clowns as they will eventually need a larger tank.

Mem

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2006
Jersey
Thats the problem. Avoiding chemicals and the lettuce thing didnt work so Im looking for something he can add as a tankmate that will eat the baby snails. He is a few steps away from tearing the tank down! Trying to prevent that at all costs if I can.

What about this if i can find any?

Common Name: Loach - Kuhli

Other Common Names: Coolie Loach

Scientific Name: Acanthopelmus kuhlii

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

An increase in snail populations is always directly linked to too much food. Tell your friend to reduce feeding to the amount his fish can eat immediately, and he should be able to get a good handle on the snail population.
Besides that, consider snails a cleaning crew rather than a pest. If they don't eat the leftover food, it starts to rot and harms your water quality much more. Snails and plants are a good step towards biodiversity and a more stable tank :thumbsup:

HarleyK

Mem

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2006
Jersey
Howdy,

An increase in snail populations is always directly linked to too much food. Tell your friend to reduce feeding to the amount his fish can eat immediately, and he should be able to get a good handle on the snail population.
Besides that, consider snails a cleaning crew rather than a pest. If they don't eat the leftover food, it starts to rot and harms your water quality much more. Snails and plants are a good step towards biodiversity and a more stable tank :thumbsup:

HarleyK
Thx HarleyK. I'm going to share those thoughts with him and see what becomes of it. Thank you too all the MFK's that were quick to respond. :clap :clap

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
I'll tell you what. Get the clown loached. When they get too big for the tank, I'll take them off your hands!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store