Snake head keepers? asiatica/Pulchra

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Hey everyone, new to the site... decided to sign up to a pile of forum's and see what i could find info wase from people with hand's on experiences.... I'm setting up 2 new tank's in the near future (later this week)

tank 1 - A pair (maybe a trio) of Channa Pulchra, They are house together currently and seem to be coloring up for breeding... 2 of them are always out and about... the other one stay's in hiding 90% of the time... I'm betting the first 2 are a pair... the 3rd is just trying to stay alive...

Tank 2- Channa asiatica I'm going to pick up 4 of them at hopes of getting a pair... they are about 3 inches and growing fast...

I plan to set them each up in 50 gallon tanks... one with an over flow into the other that way one canister filter can clean the 2 tanks ... (large canister rater for 400 gph). I'm a big fan of flowing one tank to another. I prefer clean one big filter then 3 little one's... I originally was going to just get the asiatica... and do the second tank as a community (I have the setup for a while... just needed to decide on what to put in them) But I had trouble finding many choices for "sub-tropical" water temps... But that's ok I love the Channa Pulchra and have been looking for an excuse to get both species any way lol.

So I know the basic’s , water temps in the sub tropical range… water parameters other then that aren’t overly important and need’s access to the surface for air… both tank’s will be planted and have driftwood and rocks to hide in/around… the Channa Pulchra I’m buying come from a guy who has successful several time’s in breeding them… he has TON’s of juvies for sale from one breeding group… hence why he’s letting the other go lol. So I know a lot about that species… But I’ve never met anyone how keep’s asiatica… they just came up on an import list and I jumped on the idea… Anyone here keep them ?

Tanbichthys

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Beijing
asiatica are common in China...Yeah they are very easy to keep,like most of other snakeheads...They reach 12" in length (lol this size is also common for most snakeheads...Though i have never kept them...I think just treat them like you do with your pulchra, will be no problems...
[PS:is yours a black one(commonly called Moon Snakehead in China) or a red one(Commonly called Red Pearlscale Snakehead in China)?]

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Hey thanks for the reply... was getting worried nobody would answer lol.... I picked my asiatica up yesterday... I purchased 4 they are the red pearl type. they are all very healthy about 3" long... unfortunately I lost one last night ... He was missing this morning... I believe he jumped out of the tank (there was a space where the old filter fit into the cover which has now been sealed) I have 3 cat's so i'd say he became a snack :(... It wont happen again... But the other 3 are doing great...

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Lol micker... figures you'd post something like that lol... I found out i may be able to get my hands on a few of the "moon" phase asiatica which is amazing considering i had never even heard of them until this post...and i did ALOT of research.. weird !

sharp tooth

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2005
uk
i have a tank with 20 asiatica. they grow fast! 2 of mine have grown to around 4.5" from 1" long in a month. all the rest are 3" to 3.5" but they are all so thick and well built.
mine are feeding well on anything i put in the tank, mainly hikari arowana sticks as my aro refuses to eat them and any leftovers i scoop out the ray tank after feeding time.

a friend had the same setup as you, a tank with 7 pulchra and a tank with 7 asiatica. after seeing his that made me decide to get mine. he sold his group of pulchra to Dixon, a mod on here.

i have my tank in the living room and its very difficult to keep the tank temp under 24c as my 7ft ray tank is in here as well and it heats the whole house lol.

Brucki

Gambusia
MFK Member
Hi,

I have a pair of asiatica (currently separated) that has juvies atm.

I Had to separate the male cause mummy was a bit upset and had a few "harsh words " to say to him:

Ahm and i have pulchra, too:

Two pairs, one has some few babies.

Cheers

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Very nice... any tip's on care?... what do you feed ? what temps do you keep ? I know they are a highly tolerant species but it's always good to know what works for other keepers...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store