Snakehead food suggestions/advice

Slugmire

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2018
So i have a set up with two fire and ice snakeheads which i am currently feeding them a mixture of clams/shrimp/scallops. However i do have a lot of trips planned over the next year and wanted to get them used to something i can pre layout and have labeled i.e pellets or something along that line. Is there anything any of you can suggest or even make suggestions for the diet i am already giving them! Thanks in advance!

20180320_121336.jpg

Reactions: Boyette

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I knew a few owners who were able to get on hikari pellets (floating and sinking). Just have to starve a bit in case don’t take right away.

Here lots of fish will get tilapia cut up and take most very well. I assume ur out of the states and therefore not sure what’s available where ur at.

Slugmire

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2018
Yes for the next couple years im outside of the states! I have seen the hikari pellets for sale in the uk so that might be what i go with!

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
I am using on my snakehead , mealworms earthworms krikets prawn

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Basically, you need something that will not go bad/turn into an unedible scarab (morio worms anyone? :p) while you're gone.

I have found channas to be incredibly easy to switch to pellets, but also pellets to be an incredibly fat source of food, that channa have a hard time processing, making them very fat, very fast.

I'm gonna need a bit of background here. :)

How long are you going to be out at a time? And how long are you going to be home when you're back?
Will someone else be able to feed your channas, even inexperienced?
Where do you live? Because two years means you have to take temperatures into consideration too, someone will have to make sure they don't cook or freeze (if you use no heater as you should) while you're gone.

Slugmire

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2018
Basically, you need something that will not go bad/turn into an unedible scarab (morio worms anyone? :p) while you're gone.

I have found channas to be incredibly easy to switch to pellets, but also pellets to be an incredibly fat source of food, that channa have a hard time processing, making them very fat, very fast.

I'm gonna need a bit of background here. :)

How long are you going to be out at a time? And how long are you going to be home when you're back?
Will someone else be able to feed your channas, even inexperienced?
Where do you live? Because two years means you have to take temperatures into consideration too, someone will have to make sure they don't cook or freeze (if you use no heater as you should) while you're gone.
Hey mate the longest time in the next while ill be gone is a month i just dont want people putting in to much raw food amd not pulling out uneaten bits

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Hey mate the longest time in the next while ill be gone is a month i just dont want people putting in to much raw food amd not pulling out uneaten bits
That's going to be tricky, because that's a long time with only pellets, you can do it, it's just not ideal, and they may accumulate fat.

If the people who can feed them are OK with handling insects, perhaps tell them exactly what brand and size to buy (take morio worms for example), and the exact number to feed every time.

When I go on holiday for longer than a week (a week without eating is fine, to be honest), I make little pots with the food pre-dosed, and a piece of paper with the days to feed where they can cross the days to be sure whether to feed or not.

If you have nobody trustworthy, then your best bet is getting them onto pellets, which shouldn't be too hard, but I'll say it a last time, it is far from the ideal source of food.

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
*grumbles*
Don't worry, there's still hope!
You could always freeze portions that whomever will be there to feed can use every X days, just unfreeze and drop it into the tank. It takes a bit longer if the person comes just for that, but it works.

Anyone knows if you can freeze insects/worms without risk?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store