Snakehead for a 125g?

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
Most people use tannins in their maruloides setups to 'tan' the fish and sometimes they go for waterchanges without months.I saw a japanese blog recently ,the writer hadn't changed the water in his maruloides tank in 2 years (i'm not sayjnb you should attempt this).Nitrates can be controlled with a planted tank,so no need for excessive water changes.

Reactions: Kelly_Aquatics

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
thats cool so what would the wc schedule be for a maruloides in a 180? 50% weekly? 50% every other week?
Mine 'was' going to go in a 150g (5×2×2) If I still had him,I would've done a 25% water change a month.The main idea is to not disturb the 'delicate balance' in the aquarium.They don't like change.Some even age the water for water changes for a few weeks with almond leaves in storage bins.

Reactions: Matteus

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
I would think that a 20-24" fish is to big for a 180 but I guess they are bendy
In Indonesia where Maruloides is widely available fish it's very common to see 30" (i've been told these specimens have been caught that size)fish in a 24" wide tank. Is it the best life for that fish? Not really but it shows how hardy these fish are.

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
So are they just really hardy or genuinely like aged water? I know they can breath air does that somehow help. Sorry about all the questions lol
In some places they can be found in stagnant bodies of water (no flow) the only waterchange they get is when it rains.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store