Snakehead ID

TakkerDada

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2020
So this has been sold as great Snakehead, I know it as Bullseye Snakehead/Channa Marulius. I was trying to read up on them and I came across various types of marulius all looking different. Was just hoping to get a proper ID on this one and some info would be appreciated. I've read that they grow upto 18-20 inches max in aquariums but can grow upto 3ft in the wild. I couldn't find videos or pictures on the internet where they even reached 20 inches in aquariums. Would appreciate info about their growth rate, temperament, max size in captivity etc

TIA

PXL_20230720_110642082.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
So this has been sold as great Snakehead, I know it as Bullseye Snakehead/Channa Marulius. I was trying to read up on them and I came across various types of marulius all looking different. Was just hoping to get a proper ID on this one and some info would be appreciated. I've read that they grow upto 18-20 inches max in aquariums but can grow upto 3ft in the wild. I couldn't find videos or pictures on the internet where they even reached 20 inches in aquariums. Would appreciate info about their growth rate, temperament, max size in captivity etc

TIA

View attachment 1523378
I’m not an expert on these things but I think it is bullseye, I’ve heard they can get aggressive

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
My red Channa maru. They in fact do not average 18-20” in captivity but within the range of around 24-28” I’d say? Females do reach larger sizes compared to males. mine is currently around 25”. Temperament depends on the fish itself, I have seen some chill Maru who are able to co-exist with any tank mates, while others are kept alone separately due to highly aggressive behaviour. Luckily for me mine is extremely chill and doesn’t bother any of my tank mates. Growth rate is quite fast at young age, guesstimating about 2-3” a month, but slow down once it reaches larger sizes.

feed mine twice a week shrimp, fish fillets, hikari floating pellets and occasional treat of feeder bullfrogs (favourite) or feeder fish (although not advised)

IMG_3646.jpeg

Reactions: TakkerDada

TakkerDada

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2020
My red Channa maru. They in fact do not average 18-20” in captivity but within the range of around 24-28” I’d say? Females do reach larger sizes compared to males. mine is currently around 25”. Temperament depends on the fish itself, I have seen some chill Maru who are able to co-exist with any tank mates, while others are kept alone separately due to highly aggressive behaviour. Luckily for me mine is extremely chill and doesn’t bother any of my tank mates. Growth rate is quite fast at young age, guesstimating about 2-3” a month, but slow down once it reaches larger sizes.

feed mine twice a week shrimp, fish fillets, hikari floating pellets and occasional treat of feeder bullfrogs (favourite) or feeder fish (although not advised)

View attachment 1523410
He looks different than my Snakehead though, is it a variant of the same species I have?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store