Snapping turtle pond in northern state?

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
I have an alligator snapping turtle (Macroclemys Temminckii) who is around 3 1/2 inches right now. Obviously eventually I'm going to have to set up a much, much larger enclosure for him. Ideally, I'd like to set up an outdoor pond for him. The only problem with that is I happen to live in southeastern Michigan, where (as you can assume) the winters can be pretty harsh. I have heard of people keeping common snappers (Chelydra Serpentina) and in outdoor ponds up here and just letting them hibernate as they are native, as well as certain other turtles. But I still can't find any information on whether or not alligator snappers hibernate? I don't believe we have them this far north (although I am CONSTANTLY hearing people say "alligator snapping turtle" when really it's just a common). Would I be able to set up an outdoor one for the summer, and build an indoor one for the winter? I have never actually had a pond before, so what would you guys recommend?

P.S. If things don't work out, I have a friend who lives down south in Georgia where they are native and has an outdoor pond.

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
alligator snapping turtles can not survive the winter by hibernating that far north you would need to heat the water or like you said build an indoor pond for the winter. The turtles function best with a water temperature between 80-90 degrees.they can go as low as high 60s-low 70s.
what do you have it in now?

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
alligator snapping turtles can not survive the winter by hibernating that far north you would need to heat the water or like you said build an indoor pond for the winter. The turtles function best with a water temperature between 80-90 degrees.they can go as low as high 60s-low 70s.
what do you have it in now?
40 gallon for now, I've got a 75 gallon ready to go once he's a little bigger.

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
very cool. Just a heads up with the deep water I've heard of them drowning in too deep of water and as far as live fish of and transferring them over. my recommendation is to start with frozen minnows and hand feed they tend to learn pretty fast when it comes to food. ;)

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
Haha cool, thanks for the tip! And don't worry, he's got plenty of stuff to climb on to get air. When I filled the whole tank up I was worried he'd struggle, but he doesn't seem to mind. If any problems show up I can always just lower the water.

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
good to hear its all going well. I hope I was helpful and if you have any questions about reptiles just let me know I will answer to the best of my ability. have a wonderful rest of your day.

Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Cool turtle,I'd love to have one...and awesome photos especially the last two.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store