So I found a Chocolate, finally.

japes

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Yesterday I picked up a Chocolate Cichlid (Hypselecara temporalis) from a store that I'm never going to shop from again.

They have a pretty solid range but their tanks are also, well so/so. Their fish always look washed out and uncoloured, probably due to either bad food, stress, huge nitrates, or as I think probable, all of the above.

If this poor little guy wasn't marked, I wouldn't have picked it as a Chocolate Cichlid. How bad the conditions have to be to make a brown fish white is beyond me, but I decided what the hell, only place on the coast with a small Chocolate for sale, I'll take my chances.

I let the lady who's cleaning a tank on the adjacent wall know that I'll take the Chocolate. Was the only one in the tank but I had to point it out for her anyway, that was fair enough.

First off I notice that she has a jug of water from the tank she was cleaning or next to it, and scoops the fish with the net into the jug. Strike 1, I can understand that though because they were Tropical fish too so it had a decent chance of being on the same centralized filtering.

This is where it goes sour. She proceeds to drop the untied bag from chest height onto the ground and panics. Not knowing what to do, she takes a jug full of water from the nearest tank, which happens to be a self filtered planted tank so who knows what the water was like, picks him up and puts him in that, and tells me "Hmm he looks ok". Big Strike 2.

I'm pretty much in shock as to how retarded she is. She heads back over to the tank and while shes pointing out Geophagus Brasiliensis in the same tank saying they're Chocolates, out of sympathy and full knowledge that this fish will die if I don't take it, I told her I'd take it for half price. Batter out.

After 10 seconds of knowing how terrible she was at maintaining an aquarium, she agrees and we head over. I've got the docket here, it says "due to cheryl dropping the bag with the cichlid in it slipping out of her hand, they said they still wanted him for half price".

Cheryl is a retard.

So I rush this poor fish home in water that it doesn't belong in, grab a bucket, empty the bag into it and quickly try to acclimatise the poor little guy to get him in my tank. Huge risk to begin with but I decided to buy him from that store anyway knowing that Ich or other parasites etc. were quite possibly going to be introduced. Although he was white in the store, he was active and seemingly healthy, even slightly aggressive. I don't have a hospital tank.

5 minutes later I look into the bucket and he's just hovering there. I pick him out with my hand without him even trying to get away, give him an inspection, and just place him in the tank. I pretty much decided he had to go in now or he wasn't going to make it.

First signs on going in is that he couldn't swim properly, he 'sitting' with his head on an upward angle but could control his buoyancy and was quite aware of my Severums and Acara gawking at him.

I took these photos last night about 2 hours after he was introduced into my tank.

His fins are all pretty damaged, particularly his left Pectoral fin, which is split almost entirely in half. I was pretty much worried that he wouldn't make it through the night, but he did.

27 hours in, here he is.

He's still resting on the upwards angle, but can control his swimming and buoyancy when he wants to, so it doesn't seem permanent. I'm also happy to report that he has eaten and held his ground in a little biff that he had with my little Severum of all fish.

Hopefully he makes a full recovery and becomes a big brute with a happy rescue story :)

jayne

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2007
UK
What a story!

Similar thing happened to me several years ago when I was buying some congo tetras,but the bag burst and 2 of the fish disappeared under the tanks in the shop.The assistant made no attempt to find them,just went to get another bag to catch some more.I was so disgusted I left.

Hopefully your little one will look like this in a couple of years:-

kscichlidfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
kansas
Good luck with your chocolate, mine likes to darken itself up and swim at a headsup type motion. Kinda looks funny but it will darken up and try and sneak up on food. But its a very mild tempered fish and still a juvi at maybe 4-5 inches.

Siemens2

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Norwalk, IA
Jayne, how old is your chocolate?? Also, what size of tank is it currently in? I'm planning on getting one to go with by red shoulded sevs.
Jason

jayne

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2007
UK
Hi

My chocolate has lived here for nearly 2 years now,he/she was a little baby of just over 1" when I bought him.He's about 10" now excluding tail.

He lives in a 5'x2'x2' and is a very laid back fish who likes just about everyone.

Steve p

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2007
Bristol UK
I had a similar experience 2 years ago with a male kribensis, The idiot had just finished tying up the bag when it slipped from his fingers and dropped around four foot to the floor. I'm pleased to say that he is still going strong and has breed every 6/7 weeks with my female krib.

Steve

flyin lizard

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2007
New York, Dutchess Cty
I bought a choc. from Rapps and it also swims at the upward angle. Have had it about a month now and its doing well, very colorful little critter light to dark . Good luck with yours.

japes

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
flyin lizard;1471591; said:
I bought a choc. from Rapps and it also swims at the upward angle. Have had it about a month now and its doing well, very colorful little critter light to dark . Good luck with yours.
Yeah this guys on more of an upward angle than I'd deem normal though, I keep Severum as well and they tend to do the same thing so I know what it's like.

Little update, he ate again this morning, and has darkened up even more. He came to the top for food instead of just picking off a sinking pellet that floated near him like last night.

Hopefully on the full road to recovery. He actually seems to be on less of an angle too, and hes definitely darkened up even more.

chrisc0313

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2008
williamsburg
WOW I HAVE BEEN KEEPING FISH FOR ABOUT 3 TO 4 YEARS AND I WAS WONDERIG HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE YOU NEED FOR A FISH LIKE THAT AND HOW BIG SHOULDS THE AQARIUM BE AND THERE TOP LENGTH OR THEY TROPICAL FISH OR NOT SORRY FOR ALL THE ?S

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store