so...what do you think, go for it, or, not worth the time.

dreysthename

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2011
NYC
So i wanna try to breed these two guys. First is my femme fatal rose queen. A great impulse buy a while back. Hands down the meanest cichlid I have ever owned except for a salvini a few years back. She has laid eggs before with her grow out brother. Sold him as soon as she did. got $45 bucks worth of supplies from an lfs. She is around 7.5 at the moment.

20110828_017.jpg20110828_018.jpg

I want to breed her with my KML. He is not quite up to the task as yet, i think, he is only about 6 inches, got some width on her but she is longer and has more teeth. Also my tanks for the fry are filled with growouts for my 138 Oceanic i got from a going out of business sale. Can't set it up until i move :(

Kml12.jpgKml10.jpg

So what do you guys think? is it worth the effort? Would i get some interesting fry from this pairing? Is he ready to give it a go? (just an question for future and personal knowledge, i am definitely waiting until he is at least 1/2 inch bigger or smaller than her). Anyone done a similar pairing? Experience and pics if you have would be greatly appreciated.
This is mainly an attempt to liven up our corner of this forum, lately it has been slow.
Sorry for the poor quality pics, i usually don't post them as i don't have a camera. I am quite proud of these two, thanks to the MFK'ers who helped me improve my fish rearing techniques.

20110828_017.jpg

20110828_018.jpg

Kml12.jpg

Kml10.jpg

loureyes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I say go for it!!! When it comes to hybrids all the babies will look different. Breeding the prq you will have some kamfa type fish.

Camphilophus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2008
Howell, Michigan
They would be awesome fader pearly kamfa fry. Female rose queens are a nasty fish. Your male should be significantly larger than her or she will probably mess him up. See how they act but I think your male needs some growth before it would work.

rajzynger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2007
South Florida
Definitely agree...female rose queens are quite nasty...use a partition and get them used to each other..babies would be nice out of this pair

dreysthename

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2011
NYC
They would be awesome fader pearly kamfa fry. Female rose queens are a nasty fish. Your male should be significantly larger than her or she will probably mess him up. See how they act but I think your male needs some growth before it would work.
i think your right...she took a chunk out of my syn during a cleaning yesterday...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store