So...You want to get a gulper catfish...

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
This is for information only this is not to discourage you from getting one, you do you this is information to help you care for your gulper or if you just want to learn a bit today!

Size: Gulpers can reach around 10-12 inches

Diet: Gulper catfish pretty much eat anything, but your best bet is to try to feed you gulpers pellets. if your gulper is refusing to eat pellets you can stuff frozen fish with pellets so your gulpers gets the nutrition he/she needs. Gulpers CAN eat feeder fish but some people will tell you not to do it, Only feed feeders if they are healthy, home bred and your gulper won't take anything else. you can also do frozen food such as shrimp,tilapia and smelt.

Tank mates: well.... none really, unless they are at least 2 times the gulpers size and can get along with the gulper. But realistically none. I've seen videos of gulpers eating a 12 inch TSN and an arowana... that's any expensive meal!

Temperament: Very lazy, no no no, you've heard they are lazy and believe me they are. Do not expect much from them during the day as they are nocturnal. unless you want to sit there in the middle of the night or early in the morning watching them. mine will circle the side of the tank for "exercise" when I wake up very goofy fish they are.

Tank decorations: now, gulpers have very fragile skin unlike most catfish like the Platydoras armatulus or the Megalechis thoracata, so the decorations should not be sharp or have corners or honestly just don't have them. It is pretty much a have to, to have a cave for a gulper because like stated before they are nocturnal and like to hide during day and sometime night. I have 2 java fern with my gulper and they have grown onto the slate rock I use as his cave along with his PVC pipe. but limit your decor to keep your gulper safe. also another reminder that because they have such fragile skin refrain from using a gravel substrate, sand is ok as ive had no problems with it but people tend to have a bare bottom to their gulper tank

Tank size: this is sometimes an argument between fish keepers, because people say that they are so lazy that they can live in a 40 gallon tank or you'll see a youtube video and someone has a gulper in a 10 gallon tank. then there's the people who say that they should have bigger tanks like 75 gallons and up. ideally you should have a 50-65 gallon tank for a single gulper. if you where to have multiple you will need a 75-180 gallon tank.

where are gulpers from? Gulpers are found in Rio Negro and Orinoco basins is Brazil.

Hope this finds you well.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
bump! for the people that want to read it and haven't

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Why empty bump? Give us something, if you will.

-- Find a cool thread on them,
-- or a story, a post,
-- or an article,
-- or a YouTube video,
-- a peculiar trait,
-- or a data and care sheet from someone else and discuss the interesting differences between yours and theirs... there are at least 6-8 of them I can think of right now, several on MFK alone...
-- Post pictures.
-- Link vids, even if old ones with gulpers swallowing a carp or a cichlid 2x bigger them them.
-- There a guy in Asia with a 14" gulper. Dig something up on that.
-- research and discuss why 80% of people fail to keep their gulper for a few months and 99% of people fail to keep a gulper alive past the first 6-12 months...

That's how one bumps a cool thread that one started, I believe. Just some ideas. Please, consider not just sitting on it, you gotta build up your thread and your work over weeks, months, and years, otherwise such a bump is limited and a bit tacky and awkward, it seems to me anyway, imposing I'd even say.

It may even receive the opposite effect to the one you are seeking because you are not the first to write up a gulper care sheet, but you can be the first with an all comprehensive thread worthy to spend 1-2+ hours on in cumulative 1-2+ years... not to mention your personal knowledge of the fish will grow.

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to disregard too.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Interesting fish; I haven't really done away research on them and didn't realize that they were known to be so difficult to keep. What is the reason for this?

Most of the available videos are of the catfish being fed goldfish or other live feeders...including the video made for this thread. It's stated up front that the ideal feeding technique is to get the gulper onto pellets, or at least frozen foods...but who wants to watch that, right? No, let's throw in a live feeder goldfish, preferably a great big one; in this case, we can't just wait around for it to get eaten, so let's herd it towards its doom with a net.

Feeder goldfish come from conditions that pretty much make them the lepers of the fish world. Parasites, diseases, pollutants...they've got it all! Throwing one of these in a tank with your prized predator fish seems insane, quarantine or no. So seeing yet another video of a gulper making an absolute pig of itself may get multiple views from the "Wow! That's so cool!" crowd, but I would think and hope that most of the serious MFK types would actually be more interested in a video showing how the cat can be weaned onto a healthy, nutritionally-complete diet that is disease- and risk-free. Practice as you preach; don't tell us to feed the fish commercial pellets and then do another look-at-me!!! video production.

I appreciate the effort you put into assembling this post, and also the fact that you followed Victor's suggestion for improving it. This is a serious aquarist's forum, not an infants' day-care; give us real content, not mere sensationalism.

One last comment: a post or video on how to care for a species...especially a species that is known to be challenging to keep...tends to lose credibility, at least in my eyes, when it is revealed that the creator of the care-guide has owned a single specimen, and only for 2 months. I could probably keep an African elephant alive for 2 months chained in my yard, feeding it only McDonald's french fries...but that wouldn't make me qualified to tell others about the captive care and husbandry of elephants.

I'm not trying to belittle your efforts, just suggesting that they will be more useful and more appreciated by this audience, and will stand out from the crowd, if there is a bit more substance and a bit less of the same-old-same-old that is already so readily available on YouTube.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Interesting thread, always nice to try and bring something new to the table. What is the end goal of the thread?

Reactions: fishhead0103666

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Interesting fish; I haven't really done away research on them and didn't realize that they were known to be so difficult to keep. What is the reason for this?

Most of the available videos are of the catfish being fed goldfish or other live feeders...including the video made for this thread. It's stated up front that the ideal feeding technique is to get the gulper onto pellets, or at least frozen foods...but who wants to watch that, right? No, let's throw in a live feeder goldfish, preferably a great big one; in this case, we can't just wait around for it to get eaten, so let's herd it towards its doom with a net.

Feeder goldfish come from conditions that pretty much make them the lepers of the fish world. Parasites, diseases, pollutants...they've got it all! Throwing one of these in a tank with your prized predator fish seems insane, quarantine or no. So seeing yet another video of a gulper making an absolute pig of itself may get multiple views from the "Wow! That's so cool!" crowd, but I would think and hope that most of the serious MFK types would actually be more interested in a video showing how the cat can be weaned onto a healthy, nutritionally-complete diet that is disease- and risk-free. Practice as you preach; don't tell us to feed the fish commercial pellets and then do another look-at-me!!! video production.

I appreciate the effort you put into assembling this post, and also the fact that you followed Victor's suggestion for improving it. This is a serious aquarist's forum, not an infants' day-care; give us real content, not mere sensationalism.

One last comment: a post or video on how to care for a species...especially a species that is known to be challenging to keep...tends to lose credibility, at least in my eyes, when it is revealed that the creator of the care-guide has owned a single specimen, and only for 2 months. I could probably keep an African elephant alive for 2 months chained in my yard, feeding it only McDonald's french fries...but that wouldn't make me qualified to tell others about the captive care and husbandry of elephants.

I'm not trying to belittle your efforts, just suggesting that they will be more useful and more appreciated by this audience, and will stand out from the crowd, if there is a bit more substance and a bit less of the same-old-same-old that is already so readily available on YouTube.
Interesting thread, always nice to try and bring something new to the table. What is the end goal of the thread?
Sorry, I was trying to make an informational thread on gulpers. I know I said no feeders, but im going to make a video later on MY gulper eating shrimp stuffed with pellets. sorry for wasting your time.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
No, no, not a waste of anyone's time. I was just suggesting ways to make your post stand out from the horde of identical "Hey...watch this!" type vids and posts that are out there, by making it useful rather than merely entertaining.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store