Socks vs foam

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Once u get a tank that's 30" wide u sure can sleep in it...

Hahah ive slept on park benches lol.... mis spent youth lol

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
If I had a bunch of socks and threw in the wash I'd say socks but I have one tank with two socks and I hate cleaning them . All other sumps I have foam prefilter witch I can clean twice as fast. If I could I'd do a big central filtration with a drum filter or sieve

carbene

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2013
SF BA
i slept in my 500g once, it was quite comfortable. id go with filter socks because maintenant on it is so much easier and faster. i use 6 filters socks on my 500g so i bought 25 of them. make sure you get welded as they last so much longer

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Im gonna stick with the socks.

Got a question about cleaning them. Ive been using a couple of caps of bleach in the washing machine, then soaking in water/prime i read on here that its not needed that just letting them air dry for a few days is safe.

Thoughts ?

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Im gonna stick with the socks.

Got a question about cleaning them. Ive been using a couple of caps of bleach in the washing machine, then soaking in water/prime i read on here that its not needed that just letting them air dry for a few days is safe.

Thoughts ?
I don't keep water conditioner on hand so this is what I do. I've read that once completely dry the bleach breaks down. I've been looking into sodium thiosulfate as it may be more cost effective for this purpose than traditional water conditioner. It definitely adds some peace of mind with the water conditioner though.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I don't put bleach at all. I either throw em in the washing machine with cold water and no soap. Or, I hose them down outside on the driveway. Air dry for days/weeks until I need to put em back in the sump.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I don't keep water conditioner on hand so this is what I do. I've read that once completely dry the bleach breaks down. I've been looking into sodium thiosulfate as it may be more cost effective for this purpose than traditional water conditioner. It definitely adds some peace of mind with the water conditioner though.
I use seachem safe small bottle lasts forever. I read the same about the bleach i think duanes duanes might have mentioned it somewhere.

I don't put bleach at all. I either throw em in the washing machine with cold water and no soap. Or, I hose them down outside on the driveway. Air dry for days/weeks until I need to put em back in the sump.
Never tried it without the bleach. Does it get them clean ? Hosing isnt an option for me right now

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
it doesn't get them perfectly white clean, but clean enough.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store