Solar Salt + Curing Ich : catlocarpio siamensis

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
2 ways my fish got ich -

* feeder tank transferred disease
* stress & immune system

The 1st time the tank had ich was when I 1st got my Jardini Arowana & the feeder tank I kept was poorly maintained. The white spot was so minimal though I was able to get rid of it within 2 weeks & never saw any signs of ich til getting the siamese carps. With the Jardini the ich treatment was for both feeder tank w/ microbe-lift herbtana & Jar tank w/epsom.

Before getting the carps i quarantined old Jar tank for about 10-12 days with API super-ich cure with no fish in the tank, temp at 88-90 degrees. With feeder tank I cured it by * adding heater * herbtana

When I 1st got the siamese carps they were super skittish & pretty much after weeks of stress the white spot appeared & treatment began with -- Herbtana, Microbe-Lift" - Epsom / Magna Salt

After several attempts w/ keeping this particular fish this would be the last time buying them if i didn't cure them so when i was treating them i wanted to be super careful....so i called the shop where i got them & gave me totally new directions. pretty much said,

"recommend a good salt treatment with the carp. They'll tolerate it well (up to 4.5ppt - well worth buying a cheap TDS pen to test salt levels) and it will help them breathe easier while they fight off ich. Don't use epsom salt though! That's a fish laxative. Use solar salt (the kind they use for water softeners). Just make sure there's nothing added - just evaporated sea salt."

IMG_0601.JPG

scratches on their head was from them banging into everything!

IMG_0618.JPG

pic is a few weeks ago when I was using regular epsom salt, the spots on the forehead is white but it's hard to see with the lighting.

After some good advice, lots of water changes and also reading this article "Common Myths about salt use in freshwater fish tanks"

Current Status: 10 days later all is good & fish are doing awesome!
+ eating all day the hikari massivore crushed up pellets + flakes + freeze dried treats

IMG_0566.JPG

Next goal is to try & turn their fins more bright red, in no light they are super dark black but with any light the colors come out nice dark red

IMG_0566.JPG

Reactions: Caveden
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store