Solution to jumping wolf fish

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Just thought I would share this. My red wolf fish kept jumping constantly and banging is head and face on the cover causing damage . I added floating plants, put bubble wrap under the lid and lowered the water level. None of that worked. Then I saw a YouTube video about a shop owner that noticed when ever he did water changes, his red wolffish would jump like crazy over and over. He determined it was the splashing triggering some type of instinct. So I raised my water level almost all the way so the HOB doesn’t splash at all. It worked. He immediately stopped jumping and is exhibiting natural behavior, like lurking in the floating plants for example, but no more jumping. He’s almost completely healed up now as well. Just thought I would share this in case anyone else has the same problem.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Very interesting! Glad to hear you were able to fix the problem. Makes sense about the splashing, he probably thought it was a dying fish or a insect, and went to try to eat it.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Very interesting! Glad to hear you were able to fix the problem. Makes sense about the splashing, he probably thought it was a dying fish or a insect, and went to try to eat it.
Here’s the video that made me change what I was trying

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Man I’d love one of these fish...

Reactions: Joshuakahan
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com