Solutions or advice appreciated

Snows88

Feeder Fish
Jun 10, 2021
Recently moved and I’m renting so I can’t do anything involving construction. I have a breeder rack of x6 30gallon tanks x1 75 gallon tank and x125 gallon tank. All tank fish are showing mild symptoms of disagreement with new house waters ph level. The current level is 8.2-8.4 I believe I had 7.6 before. I do water changes every 5-10 days and change about 200 gallons using a python to my sink and getting temp to within a degree. I wanna continue my water changes but some how reduce my ph I don’t have any holding tank or way to move water in one and to my tanks there’s no room in the house to have. Ideas?

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Don't know what varieties of fish you keep, but for most aquarium fish a PH change from 7.6 to 8.2 shouldn't have any lasting adverse effects.
My local tap is very hard w/ PH of 8.2 & I've successfully kept many different varieties of soft water loving fish in it, including Discus.
Moving tanks & fish from one residence to another can be very stressful to fish & keeper, Lol.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Don't know what varieties of fish you keep, but for most aquarium fish a PH change from 7.6 to 8.2 shouldn't have any lasting adverse effects.
My local tap is very hard w/ PH of 8.2 & I've successfully kept many different varieties of soft water loving fish in it, including Discus.
Moving tanks & fish from one residence to another can be very stressful to fish & keeper, Lol.
I was going to say the same. High increase in hardness or tds may be annoying to them until they get used to it, but for the most part most cb fish should be fine.

Snows88

Feeder Fish
Jun 10, 2021
So last night I was a little surprised when I tested my water again and it settled ph wise down to 7.4-7.6 in the tanks. So I think I’ve found the culprit as when I’m doing my water changes I’m now adding 8.2 in a disrupting them ****ty part I don’t really have the luxury of putting water in to a holding tank and transferring water over to my tanks

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
So last night I was a little surprised when I tested my water again and it settled ph wise down to 7.4-7.6 in the tanks. So I think I’ve found the culprit as when I’m doing my water changes I’m now adding 8.2 in a disrupting them ****ty part I don’t really have the luxury of putting water in to a holding tank and transferring water over to my tanks
That PH drop isa non issue for the fish. That’s an issue that heavily planted tanks with CO2 injection deal with all the time when they turn it off at night, and the fishkeepers don’t do anything for the fish.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store