Some pics of my shrimps...

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
I LOVE shrimp. I'd like to have a massive tank with only plants and shrimp. One day ...

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Very nice shrimps you have man!
Thank you for the compliment :)

Trying to see how large a colony i can build...

I LOVE shrimp. I'd like to have a massive tank with only plants and shrimp. One day ...
This tank is a 3' (50G) tank which in all fairness is already considered quite large for a shrimp tank, although my wife did once suggest turning the 200G into a planted shrimp tank with thousands of shrimp lol...

Reactions: Matteus and jwd

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
These things spit out any babies yet? Curious how much quality control comes into play with these guys. The macro lens will help when it comes time to see the itty bitty ones. Looks like the plants haven't overgrown the sides yet.

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
Thank you for the compliment :)

Trying to see how large a colony i can build...

This tank is a 3' (50G) tank which in all fairness is already considered quite large for a shrimp tank, although my wife did once suggest turning the 200G into a planted shrimp tank with thousands of shrimp lol...
Now THAT is what I'm talking about. I was thinking 210. Shrimp only.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
These things spit out any babies yet? Curious how much quality control comes into play with these guys. The macro lens will help when it comes time to see the itty bitty ones. Looks like the plants haven't overgrown the sides yet.
It was super overgrown but then over last 1-2 months been slowly trimming it back and getting it looking the way i want...

As for quality control, it has to be done to ensure they always look their best so before the males reach 1cm need to decide if i want to keep or dump them...

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
It was super overgrown but then over last 1-2 months been slowly trimming it back and getting it looking the way i want...

As for quality control, it has to be done to ensure they always look their best so before the males reach 1cm need to decide if i want to keep or dump them...
I was curious how many of the fry become worth selling. I assume they do a lot of quality control to sell the high quality ones, otherwise they wouldn't be expensive anymore.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I was curious how many of the fry become worth selling. I assume they do a lot of quality control to sell the high quality ones, otherwise they wouldn't be expensive anymore.
Over here it comes down to several factors:

Bloodline // Farm / breeder // quality...

Obviously proving bloodlines are hard unless a reputable dealer or the breeder themself...

So as far as personal sales it pretty much comes solely down to quality, which mine are at best probably mid range shrimp...

Top quality over here can still sell for around USD $300-400 a piece...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Thanks, they have some pretty solid colors for S - SS grade shrimp....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store