some pictures from my new camera

DooSPX

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
Florida, USA
Here are some pictures I have taken with my new Olympus E-420 w/ 14-42 kit lens. I got a killer deal on the camera from walmart. 184 with tax brand new. I thought I would regret not having in body IS like the 520, but I havent noticed even in night shots.
anyway, your thoughts are more than welcome.

All shots were in JPEG Large Super Fine format and pictures have NOT been enhanced other than cropping on a couple.

first shot is the flag waving during a windy day at a park in Berryville, VA.
shooting mode- P
focal length- 42mm
shutter- 1/200
F No. F9.0
EV- 0.0
WB- Auto
ISO- 100

second shot is the view from our cabin on the Potomac River in Hedgesville, WV.
shooting mode- P
focal length- 42mm
shutter- 1/200
F No. F8.0
EV- 0.0
WB- 5300K
ISO- 100

third is a flower at my aunts house in WV.
picture has been cropped
shooting mode- Macro
focal length- 33mm
shutter- 1/160
F No. F8.0
EV- 0.0
WB- Auto
ISO- 100

fourth is a duck at a creek by our cabin.
picture has been cropped
shooting mode- P
focal length- 42mm
shutter- 1/125
F No. F7.1
EV- 0.0
WB- Auto
ISO- 100

P5080460.JPG

P5060141.JPG

P5070177 crop.jpg

P5121196 crop.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DooSPX

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
Florida, USA
Here is a picture of the old train station in Martinsburg, WV.
picture has been cropped
shooting mode- P
focal length- 14mm
shutter- 1/160
F No. F5.0
EV- 0.0
WB- Auto
ISO- 100

P5121315 crop.jpg

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
I really like the train station shot. IMO, and this is just me, I would play around with the WB setting a little bit more. That's just me.

DooSPX

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
Florida, USA
Thanks, the train station is a good shot.
Any other input on it or the other shots to improve upon my week photography skills? lol

DooSPX

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
Florida, USA
Anyone else?

Turbo.MP

Feeder Fish
Aug 22, 2009
SLC, Utah
Shots aren't bad at all.

Now, I'm still not great myself, but here's some constructive criticism on things I'm noticing (and some things I'm still guilty of myself):

Do some reading on composition. The train station's probably my favorite, but the rest feel very "tourist with a camera" to me. Try mixing it up with some different angles other than standing and shooting. Don't be afraid to get down and dirty; some of my best shots came at the cost of some grass stains on a nice shirt.

Also, take advantage of the wide 14mm and don't be afraid to get up close and personal and experiment with different angles. Try to stress interesting features that you may not pick up on if you were standing there in person.

Specifically, I think there's a lot of potential with the flower if you try a different angle or focal length. Also, the duck I think has the most potential. Getting down to its level with a wider lens could really get interesting fast. I've interacted with a lot of birds and they can get some personality when you get down close.

Hopefully some of that helps.

DooSPX

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
Florida, USA
It does help, thank you for your criticism! I will try to experiment and see what I can do. I think the camera has a lot of potential. I also believe you are correct about a tourist feel to some of the pictures, never thought about it till now.
thank you again!

Jason

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store