Some piranha questions

KingCobra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2005
Florida
I was thinking about getting a Rhom or a spilo.I believe the spilo is smaller then a Rhom.How big does a spilo get? Are they as aggressive as a Rhom?

I was wondering if I could keep a 2-4in. Rhom or spilo in a 5-10 gallon tank for a few months and then put him in a 29 gallon tank for a little while.Then Eventually as it gets bigger put it in a 75 gallon for life.Would this work?

Also can I get a rhom or spilo to eat pellets? How hard is it to get them to eat it?
What about them eating night crawlers? Im guessing yes.

Is the rhom and spilo aggressive when small? I heard they are not real aggressive until they get bigger and are they real skittish when young.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
Piranhas are generally not going to charge the glass at your hand no matter how big they are, if thats what you mean by aggressive. Piranhas of all types will indulge in small, flighty fish like danios/guppies/barbs/tetras (don't give them goldfish, those things are trash) at all sizes at all times, if that's what you mean by aggressive. Piranhas of all types typically shy away from confronting large fish, if that's what you mean by aggressive

Your tank-transition plan will work excellent for either fish. spilos get 8-10". Its very easy to get piranhas to take pellets. They will eat night crawlers too.

Derexan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
2-4in. Rhom or spilo in a 5-10 gallon tank for a few months

I wouldn't. You could keep a like some baby 1 inchers in there. Once they get 2-4 inch they start eating bigger food, more mess more nitrates. I have 3 RBP' .5"'s in a 29 gallon

RhomBeusBoi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
Gettin' Crunked
you could put about 6 juvenile rb's in a 10gallon for a while. check for nitrates.

RhomBeusBoi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
Gettin' Crunked
just make sure they are small.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store