Someone help! How did my temensis peacock bass die?? It's so strange and unexplainable. Pics included

Landonious

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2018
Okay, as a fish keeper, no one like to see one of their precious fish die for no apparent reason. Now I've included video and pic of the death of a 10" temensis bass for no apparent reason. He has been with me for over a year. He lives in this 475 gallon grow out tank with no issues along with 2 other temensis and 1 big occellaris peacock bass. Other 3 bass all are fine, except him and he died shortly and randomly. His eyes is cloudy. Another mystery. Does anyone know what happened? I want to learn and avoid in the future.

image.jpeg

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
If order for anyone to help you need to provide all details

Start with the basics. Water parameters, feeding schedule and types of food offered, what recent tank maintenance did you do? How often are you changing water and how much? Any wierd feces? Or physical indicators or parasites? Heavy breathing, flashing? Anything?

When was the last time the fish are?

Landonious

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2018
Well I am hoping for an answer mainly based on that fogginess in his pupils. I have not seen that with any other fish alive or dead. Can't tell feces cause many species in that tank. He was swimming at the top of the tank, up side down and struggling. water parameter is usually fine. Had an ammonium spike but I've never seen those cloudy eyes on any fish I've lost in the past due to ammonia or nitrate lvls. I'm hoping that cloudy eyes is a huge clue to what exactly happened.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Ammonia spike will kill fish. I’m guessing that’s the reason. As to what caused the spike ? Cycle crash? Not enough filtration? What’s the filter on your tank and how much and how often are you changing water what’s your theshold for nitrates?

Landonious

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2018
okay thank you for the posts. It prob is the ammonia spike. I'll do better in future friends

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
If you answer the previous questions about you maintenance schedule, it will help you avoid this problem in the future. Ammonia spikes can be from not enough filtration or over cleaning the filter or a un cycled aquarium how long has your 450 gallon tank been up and running?

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
If you answer the previous questions about you maintenance schedule, it will help you avoid this problem in the future. Ammonia spikes can be from not enough filtration or over cleaning the filter or a un cycled aquarium how long has your 450 gallon tank been up and running?
Yes. Need more info.

Reactions: Tony A.

Landonious

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2018
Yeah I think It might be under filtration. Because its prob from over feeding and thus create huge ammonia producing sources which heavily tax my filtration system. I will do better guys. Like feed less. Thanks for all the tips and answers!

Btw, my 7500 gallon tank is almost done, pretty soon, I'll make an extensive build post under the DIY section!

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
If you can afford it you might want to get a seneye to monitor ammonia.

Reactions: Tony A.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store