Something very special.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Yes mate.

Not an issue lol.
Maybe your right moe.
I might choose between one of these two. Excuse the ugly mug. I've just finished work.

IMG_5041.JPG

IMG_5044.JPG

Reactions: moe214

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
That's a pretty unique irwini specimen. Probably the largest I've seen pictures of and could talk to the owner of it too. Where in the world are you scoring these huge unique fish? Great markings on it. Did you pay for it or rescued it?

Now if you get the lithodoras of the stated size, that'd IMHO blow the irwini case out of the water as far as uniqueness. I have had one at 1.5'-2' and I've never met anyone else who had a lithodoras dorsalis.

Watch your water parameters. I am worried about your stocking. You were, I think, way overstocked before the addition of the irwini. Not that this is any business of mine, just would hate to see you have problems with your unique L. pictus, M. uranoscopus, and possibly the L. dorsalis.

If these are all in 500 gal of water 8x4x2 (don't know how big your sump is and the turnover rate), you are getting to 10x or more overstocked with a cubic inch of fish per gallon of water rule of thumb. A 36" Oxydoras niger alone displaces roughly 500 cubic inches, (say roughly 36" length x 3"-4" average width over all of 36" x 3"-4" average height over all of 36"). That's pretty much all one can have in a 500 gal tank and be more or less safe. You already have a LOT more.

The thing is with the water parameters: even if they show up fine on your API liquid tests, firmly zero ppm ammonia and nitrite, it doesn't mean your fish are safe with such a relatively obscene bioload. Oddball Oddball would warn you of brown blood disease and tell you more.

Feel free to disregard my unsolicited advice. I've no expectations.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
That's a pretty unique irwini specimen. Probably the largest I've seen pictures of and could talk to the owner of it too. Where in the world are you scoring these huge unique fish? Great markings on it. Did you pay for it or rescued it?

Now if you get the lithodoras of the stated size, that'd IMHO blow the irwini case out of the water as far as uniqueness. I have had one at 1.5'-2' and I've never met anyone else who had a lithodoras dorsalis.

Watch your water parameters. I am worried about your stocking. You were, I think, way overstocked before the addition of the irwini. Not that this is any business of mine, just would hate to see you have problems with your unique L. pictus, M. uranoscopus, and possibly the L. dorsalis.

If these are all in 500 gal of water 8x4x2 (don't know how big your sump is and the turnover rate), you are getting to 10x or more overstocked with a cubic inch of fish per gallon of water rule of thumb. A 36" Oxydoras niger alone displaces roughly 500 cubic inches, (say roughly 36" length x 3"-4" average width over all of 36" x 3"-4" average height over all of 36"). That's pretty much all one can have in a 500 gal tank and be more or less safe. You already have a LOT more.

The thing is with the water parameters: even if they show up fine on your API liquid tests, firmly zero ppm ammonia and nitrite, it doesn't mean your fish are safe with such a relatively obscene bioload. Oddball Oddball would warn you of brown blood disease and tell you more.

Feel free to disregard my unsolicited advice. I've no expectations.
As always victor. Any advice from you is welcomed. Yes, I'll agree. I'm over stocked. All will be changing January. Just need to get Christmas out the way. Filtration wise there's a 50gallon filterstion system below the tank. Filled with all sorts of stuff to keep the water as it should be. Around 45 gallons aday is removed from the tank on an auto drip.
Plus a large weekly water change (usually every 5 days) plus an additional 2 fx6's.

I'd like to hear about the brown blood deiseas.

I paid for the megladoras. £300 he set me back. But, I'm sure you'll agree. It's a fish of a life time and is a huge specimen.

I have some quick snaps of the lifadoras I'll attach them on this post. (There not the best) but that fish will mostlikely arrive after January when the upgrade is happening.

IMG_5045.PNG

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
As always victor. Any advice from you is welcomed. Yes, I'll agree. I'm over stocked. All will be changing January. Just need to get Christmas out the way. Filtration wise there's a 50gallon filterstion system below the tank. Filled with all sorts of stuff to keep the water as it should be. Around 45 gallons aday is removed from the tank on an auto drip.
Plus a large weekly water change (usually every 5 days) plus an additional 2 fx6's.

I'd like to hear about the brown blood deiseas.

I paid for the megladoras. £300 he set me back. But, I'm sure you'll agree. It's a fish of a life time and is a huge specimen.

I have some quick snaps of the lifadoras I'll attach them on this post. (There not the best) but that fish will mostlikely arrive after January when the upgrade is happening.

View attachment 1285040
I agree with the ID. That looks like L. dorsalis. Perhaps the snout is a bit funny but hard to be sure with one poor pic.

I suggest going to the MFK home page (click on Forums) and typing "brown blood disease" in the search bar and "Oddball" in the member bar and taking a look through the hits and Oddball's posts. Plenty to get you started there. I'd like Oddball Oddball to teach us further on what he professes, so we understand better.

Believe me, I killed a thousand fish. You are playing with fire. I would at least rehome all other less critical, more and easier and commonly found tank mates. Tank first, fish second. Tank first, fish second. Tank first, fish second.

Yet, do as you please, needless to say :)

Reactions: moe214 and Rpul

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
I agree with the ID. That looks like L. dorsalis. Perhaps the snout is a bit funny but hard to be sure with one poor pic.

I suggest going to the MFK home page (click on Forums) and typing "brown blood disease" in the search bar and "Oddball" in the member bar and taking a look through the hits and Oddball's posts. Plenty to get you started there. I'd like Oddball Oddball to teach us further on what he professes, so we understand better.

Believe me, I killed a thousand fish. You are playing with fire. I would at least rehome all other less critical, more and easier and commonly found tank mates. Tank first, fish second. Tank first, fish second. Tank first, fish second.

Yet, do as you please, needless to say :)
I appreciate your advice victor. I'll get it sorted asap. Even if it a temporary pond.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store