Sorry guys about all the questions but my arowana is acting strange.

idkjardiniagressive?

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2019
Every since the 60 percent water change on my 65g holding tank for my jardini he has been just sitting on the bottom with his fins contracted. Is this normal? is it because of the huge water change or the stress from the small tank? hope you guys can let me know. Also is there any way I can cycle my 210g tank in 1-2 weeks to get him in it as soon as possible.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Every since the 60 percent water change on my 65g holding tank for my jardini he has been just sitting on the bottom with his fins contracted. Is this normal? is it because of the huge water change or the stress from the small tank? hope you guys can let me know. Also is there any way I can cycle my 210g tank in 1-2 weeks to get him in it as soon as possible.
How often were you doing water changes before the 65% water change? Did you use dechlorinator ?

idkjardiniagressive?

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2019
I do them monthly, and yes I used more than enough dechlorinator.(usually I do 20-25 percent water changes monthly but I did 65 to get it extra clean as well as putting it into my 210g). Also the jardini acts completely normal once I walk walk in and take out the food.

Nm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
Your water change schedule sounds terrible and your fish is probably reacting to a big sway in parameters post water change. try 50 percent every 3-4 day or at a minimum weekly.

take some media out of your 65 and drop in to your 210 filtration. I use stability to start a new tank with seeded media...use it everyday for 7-14 days. If you are going to fish in cycle prime every other day and test test test!

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Jardini’s are tough as nails. Especially when you get a great one. I can do a 90% plus water change (suction while filling), clean all it’s filters, and fill it up with just tap water with no additives (guess I got good water). When I’m done the crazy b@stard wants to eat! Always wants to eat! All and any pellets btw. Crazy fish ain’t afraid of nothing. I get scared sometimes when I’m changing its water! He gets too close! My 4 year old daughter loves him but is definitely afraid he will eat her fingers! Lol! He’s an easy 18 inches. ? Every fish is different. I have had shy skittish ones before. Lazy ones. Chill ones. Suicidal ones!!! Etc... This is definitely my most aggressive but laid back ever. I’m not selling this one. He’s mines!

4C6A90C9-5DDA-4779-92AE-B3E86161EA16.jpeg

Last edited:

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
OP regardless of how tough your Arowana is or is supposed to be, as per others' advice you really need to up your game insofar as water changes buddy -- your fish deserves more than once a month, I would aim for about once a week 30-50% if you want your fish to thrive instead of just survive.

I'm sure it will appreciate the move to your 210g (as long as it's not too overstocked and you keep up with water changes), suggest to use a plastic bag instead of a net when moving it to new tank.

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
OP regardless of how tough your Arowana is or is supposed to be, as per others' advice you really need to up your game insofar as water changes buddy -- your fish deserves more than once a month, I would aim for about once a week 30-50% if you want your fish to thrive instead of just survive.

I'm sure it will appreciate the move to your 210g (as long as it's not too overstocked and you keep up with water changes), suggest to use a plastic bag instead of a net when moving it to new tank.
Yup. Experiences may vary. Maybe I can do once a month over filtered as hell (sump, three hang ons, and biggest sponge filter x 2 blasting an over powered air pump.) But maybe you can’t. But I aim for twice a month and get it down realllly low till I fill and still siphon water. Fill faster than it siphons. I pretty much do a 150% water change? Just chillin with a beer. So easy. Just Siphon one side to the downstairs toilet and I have a garden hose connected to the tap sink by the laundry machines close by filling on the other side of the tank. Just chillin making sure it doesn’t overflow. Lol. Tap water here is great!

Last edited:
Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Yup. Experiences may vary. Maybe I can do once a month over filtered as hell (sump, three hang ons, and biggest sponge filter x 2 blasting an over powered air pump.) But maybe you can’t. But I aim for twice a month and get it down realllly low till I fill and still siphon water. Fill faster than it siphons. I pretty much do a 150% water change? Just chillin with a beer. Making sure it doesn’t overflow. Lol. Tap water here is great!
It's not really a matter of can or can't -- rather it's a matter of choice/preference. With my bio-loads and filtration (and like you, great water right out of the tap), I could go a month without doing water changes, but choose not to as I simply don't think that's best for my fish.

Also over-filtration certainly doesn't replace needed minerals etc. and it's only going to handle the given bio load, any extra is pretty much superficial. And getting back to water changes, or shall we say tank maintenance, unless one is regularly and often cleaning their sumps, HOB's, canisters, sponges etc., all the waste/detritus is just piling up somewhere in the system, which means more nitrates and other pollutants that aren't removed by most filters.

For most people the only way to remove nitrates is water changes --over-filtration won't help much if anything in this regard (unless one has a heavily planted or aquaponic system, or has filtration with true anoxic de-nitrification going on -- very rare in most of our FW systems).

But of course as you imply there will be exceptions/different experiences, I'm only stating the most commonly suggested/used approach, which for most would be closer to weekly than monthly.

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
It's not really a matter of can or can't -- rather it's a matter of choice/preference. With my bio-loads and filtration (and like you, great water right out of the tap), I could go a month without doing water changes, but choose not to as I simply don't think that's best for my fish.

Also over-filtration certainly doesn't replace needed minerals etc. and it's only going to handle the given bio load, any extra is pretty much superficial. And getting back to water changes, or shall we say tank maintenance, unless one is regularly and often cleaning their sumps, HOB's, canisters, sponges etc., all the waste/detritus is just piling up somewhere in the system, which means more nitrates and other pollutants that aren't removed by most filters.

For most people the only way to remove nitrates is water changes --over-filtration won't help much if anything in this regard (unless one has a heavily planted or aquaponic system, or has filtration with true anoxic de-nitrification going on -- very rare in most of our FW systems).

But of course as you imply there will be exceptions/different experiences, I'm only stating the most commonly suggested/used approach, which for most would be closer to weekly than monthly.
^

This

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store