South American cichlid mix... Too aggressive?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
People can and are successful of mixing cichlids but what you don't see is the plethora of tanks with fish growing/waiting for their trial in the main tank. Aggresive fish are pulled out fast and replaced. These are normally huge tanks stocked at African Cichlid levels so there is no territory that can be claimed and so many bodies no one fish is picked on a lot.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
That, or the set up shown on video is short term. Long term success isn't measured in days, weeks, or even months.

Reactions: 'Merica and Jexnell

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with RD and Jexnell, its very easy to say I've had a tank with some juvie Texas and a few oscars work for 3 months, or 5 months or so and its all good, (which IMO, is not enough time to know anything) but then the next day or a month after the youtube shoot, all hell breaks loose, because the alpha male Herichthys finally hits a mature or territorial stage, and the other subordinate cichlids are shredded overnight.
And do they, or do you think they will post that? Probably not.
Here you almost always see mistakes of bad combinations like too small tanks, lousy water quality, in the disease section, and often the connection is "not" made by the aquarist, that most problems are not some mystery parasite, and that the tank should be heavily medicated, but that the stress of bad water quality, and bad tank mate combinations lead to compromised immune systems where normally benign bacteria become problematic.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
It's mostly all been said, some things will work short term or before fish are fully adult, doesn't mean they work long term.

I'd just add that sometimes in the comment section of these youtube tanks you see someone ask about the tank months down the road and the original poster says he no longer has the tank or has moved fish out. Even whan an ill advised combination works occasionally, it doesn't make it a standard for success.

Reactions: Jexnell and RD.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Well I'm going to get rid of some fish then it seems. I think the problem was I saw a lot of YouTube fish keepers having similar if not identical stock. Maybe they don't show the struggle of these fish living together. Thanks for the info mfk people!
Ever wonder why there's no 'updates' to those Utube vids? There's a reason. They toss a lot of big fish in a tank for clicks. They rarely answer questions about their setup either...they get defensive or curse people out in comments.

Zcddrew

Candiru
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Canada
Update on the tank, Texas was rehomed to a friend's tank, and things seem to be much smoother now. We shall see as the others grow out how things develop. Oscars are looking good though. Green terror is getting pretty too.

IMG_20190914_151339_798.jpg

20190913_135907.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store