South American Giant BB Cat

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Yellowcat Yellowcat thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter

Do you guys have any info on them ? Newly described pseudopimelodus. Can't really find much on them other than some links that say it gets 2 inches. Rapps has listed at staying under 12 inches. But thats kind of perfect for me.

I don't want to end up with something like a mangurus. Would be a pleasant surprise if it was closer to bufonius though.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/pseudopimelodus-sp-

https://www.scotcat.com/pseudopimelodidae/rhyacoglanis_paranensis.htm

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hey Jaws, the first link leads to an error. Looks incomplete. But it probably is that thread were Jeff Rapps' same photo of the same fish but ID'ed differently (a while ago) was discussed and where Kirk Yellowcat Yellowcat expressed his expert opinion about it that it looks similar to bufonis but may not exactly be it.

I'd also repost the photo from Jeff's current for sale page or from that thread where I posted it (note w/o asking Jeff's permission, which perhaps you don't want to repeat).

In the name of making sure of the fish ID, I see no reason why Jeff would mind but it'd be polite to ask first because Jeff's thankful for that.

As for the fish, per our PM discussion, just based on sizes alone, I am skeptical of the Rhyacoglanis ID. Plus, Rhya = fast water dwelling. There are rarely big fish in shallow fast water that are not shaped with a minimalistic, hydrodynamic face-on profile or have means to hold on to things like pleco do.

From looking at the photo of the catfish, it doesn't strike me as having the hydrodynamic proportions of an ATF. It's too bulky.

Just some thought which may be worthless as small Pseudopims are outside of my scope of attention usually.

Now I cheer you get the mangurus :) Cuz after it eats all your fish-cracker and fish-stick snack fish and grows to 2'+, you can send it to me or to Kirk in its own tank and water first class :) Seriously though, it'd be very likely a first in the hobby.

Reactions: moe214

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Hey Jaws, the first link leads to an error. Looks incomplete. But it probably is that thread were Jeff Rapps' same photo of the same fish but ID'ed differently (a while ago) was discussed and where Kirk Yellowcat Yellowcat expressed his expert opinion about it that it looks similar to bufonis but may not exactly be it.

I'd also repost the photo from Jeff's current for sale page or from that thread where I posted it (note w/o asking Jeff's permission, which perhaps you don't want to repeat).

In the name of making sure of the fish ID, I see no reason why Jeff would mind but it'd be polite to ask first because Jeff's thankful for that.

As for the fish, per our PM discussion, just based on sizes alone, I am skeptical of the Rhyacoglanis ID. Plus, Rhya = fast water dwelling. There are rarely big fish in shallow fast water that are not shaped with a minimalistic, hydrodynamic face-on profile or have means to hold on to things like pleco do.

From looking at the photo of the catfish, it doesn't strike me as having the hydrodynamic proportions of an ATF. It's too bulky.

Just some thought which may be worthless as small Pseudopims are outside of my scope of attention usually.

Now I cheer you get the mangurus :) Cuz after it eats all your fish-cracker and fish-stick snack fish and grows to 2'+, you can send it to me or to Kirk in its own tank and water first class :) Seriously though, it'd be very likely a first in the hobby.
Thx Viktor so what does a rhyacoglanis look like ? From what I found online it's a 2inch guppy of a catfish that I wouldn't be interested in.

Are you aware of any pseudopimelodus that stays at the smaller sizes (12 inch ball park)

No mangurus...if it ate one of my Polys it would soon be on my dinner plate.

I didn't ask Jeff since I'm pretty sure he's a away and technically not using any of his pics. We exchanged a few emails but agreed to further discuss when he returns this week.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I've only seen what you have seen. What I was trying to say is that the fish, we have both seen, would hardly be able to live in fast water at 12", my impression is. So it makes sense that it stays very small, given its not too hydrodynamic body shape. Which then, in turn, speaks against Jeff's ID.

There aren't many Pseudopims available in the hobby. What you are looking for would likely have to come from the Batrachoglanis or Pseudopimelodus genus, out of which ranninus and bufonis cover 99% of what's available. It'd be interesting if you could source a more rare one.

We need Kirk but he must be away or busy.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I've only seen what you have seen. What I was trying to say is that the fish, we have both seen, would hardly be able to live in fast water at 12", my impression is. So it makes sense that it stays very small, given its not too hydrodynamic body shape. Which then, in turn, speaks against Jeff's ID.

There aren't many Pseudopims available in the hobby. What you are looking for would likely have to come from the Batrachoglanis or Pseudopimelodus genus, out of which ranninus and bufonis cover 99% of what's available. It'd be interesting if you could source a more rare one.

We need Kirk but he must be away or busy.
I would more than happy with bufonius... Ever elusive

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hmm... they are not commonly offered but I do run into them every now and then. Unless you speak of your LFS scene. That I'd not know.

Do you check Aquabid and Ebay? If I am not mistaken Steve at Exotic Fish Shop currently has them for sale? Often called giant bumblebee catfish.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Hmm... they are not commonly offered but I do run into them every now and then. Unless you speak of your LFS scene. That I'd not know.

Do you check Aquabid and Ebay? If I am not mistaken Steve at Exotic Fish Shop currently has them for sale? Often called giant bumblebee catfish.
Really just our vendor section , wetspot, Rapps and snook21.

I'm going to check out exotic fish shop. Googling atm

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter I've never heard of exotic fish before but gotta say I'm impressed. Steve wrote me back immediately.
He checking

Any other hidden gem vendors you can pass along ?

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter I've never heard of exotic fish before but gotta say I'm impressed. Steve wrote me back immediately.
He checking

Any other hidden gem vendors you can pass along ?
IDK about gems but when I want to be thorough I go through all listed plus

Aquabid
Ebay
CL
Discus Origins
Raymond Chan (stock and price list request by email)
Petzone
Rehoboth Aquatics (which I'd reckon should be your idea of heaven on earth)
PredatoryFins
MonsterAquarium (NJ/NY)
thatpetplace
http://www.davesfish.com/
gunpowder aquatics
bluegrass aquatics (this is seagrest retail)
http://jonahsaquarium.com/jonahsite/fishlist.htm
http://www.zimmermansfish.com/Price.html
https://www.aquariumfishsale.com/pages/freshwater-fish
liveaquaria

There are others but I check them once in a blue moon.

Will this keep you off the streets a while?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Damd I wish I lived in the USA and could go through that list:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store