South American Invertebrates

MadDog24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2008
Nashville GA
I just bought a 55 gallon aquarium from a friend. I plan on doing an Amazon themed tank. My plans are to have three angel fish, a small school of pencil fish, and a few dwarf cichlids in it. My first question is, would that be too many fish for a 55 gallon aquarium? Second, I also want to add some inverts from South America but I need help with some good candidates for my tank. Do any of y'all have any ideas to help me narrow my search some? Thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my AT100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MadDog24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2008
Nashville GA
Awesome. Anymore ideas? I did a google search as well and only came up with a few species of apple snails.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
aegla.jpg

There are a couple of internet dealers that occassionally have Aegla sp. crabs. They're a close relation to hermit crabs (no shell though) and are found in the Amazon basin. There are supposedly 250 variants of this genus in the amazon.

aegla.jpg

DeNoctis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2012
Danbury, Connecticut
Search on http://www.azgardens.com they have a great variety of freshwater species. I'm not sure how limited your amazon biotope will be though considering there aren't too many amazonian inverts that I've seen out there save for the amazon ghost shrimp.
Cancel that. They actually have some pretty nasty reviews out there. HOWEVER I was able to find some Peruvian FW Crabs tha fit your amazon biotope prerequisite.
http://www.franksaquarium.com/decapod.htm (at the bottom)

They are good for eating brush algea (hairy algae) that grows on plants and all surfaces of the tank.

demonte1997

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2011
Connecticut
Those S. American prawn are very tough to come by. So if anyone sees them, please post up here. Been wanting some for over a year now. :/

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
View attachment 821712

There are a couple of internet dealers that occassionally have Aegla sp. crabs. They're a close relation to hermit crabs (no shell though) and are found in the Amazon basin. There are supposedly 250 variants of this genus in the amazon.
That thing looks sweet... any idea on Max size?

Also the peruvian crabs also look sweet... remind me a little of Thai Mirco crabs almost, except with some color...

Ptrick125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown Texas
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store