south american or african??

spryandspringy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2005
The Lone Star State!
piranha45 said:
Tiliapia are direct equivalents of large CA bruisers. Mbuna are great either in a tank of their own, or as excellent dithers for larger fish--there is NOTHING out there that has the varied fishkeeping uses of mbuna. Malawi haps are excellent, active, beautiful streamlined predators, it is very fun to watch them wipe out schools of small fish, and their beauty is impeccable. Tanganyikans are mre placid, sedate,predators, and they have much different morphology. Jewel cichlids--, all the various species-- are of a separate morphology and behavior type as well.... This isn't to say i don't like American cichlids, but if I had to choose a favorite, I would DEFINTELY go with africans.
Be still my heart! P45 is my new hero! :hearts:

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Why don't they just call it the African Cichlid Association!? Bugga them all! I don't think that the africans are superior...just they breed like Rabbits so everyone wants to get rid of them...you actually have to work to a certain extent to get your SA/CA to breed. Some haven't even been bred yet. So yeah....if there were more SA/CA beein bred i'm sure we would see more. I really wanted to start slittin bags though....aghhhh....... :swear:

BGG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I dispise Mbuna, lol... sorry p45. :D Some of the west Africans are alright, but I don't care for cichlids in general, there are just a few that I like. I would say CA/SA for sure. Everyone and their mother has some kind of African, so you won't have trouble observing them elsewhere. :) Or even better, GARS!

BGG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Alex may not appreciate his pics being posted all over... but I guess it's you and not me that will have to watch my back Down Under. :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store