Spaghetti eels!?!

pudgeking

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
New York City
I am surprised and happy to report that I am already getting a good feeding response from these guys with frozen bloodworms, before the lights go off even. They hang out in the sand with just their heads poking out.
View attachment 882602
when they detect the bloodworms, they start to reach for them
IMG_1691.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg
Today one of them came all the way out of the sand and actively searched the tank for food.

I never got such a quick feeding response from spiny eels I've kept (this is the first time I have kept a true eel species, as much as I've wanted to). Their behavior is very interesting to watch. I must admit I was not very hopeful for their survival when I bought them, but these are good signs. If they start growing out a bit I may even consider setting up a tank to transition to brackish and then marine, if they last that long.

IMG_1691.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

Vanimal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2012
Florida
I am surprised and happy to report that I am already getting a good feeding response from these guys with frozen bloodworms, before the lights go off even. They hang out in the sand with just their heads poking out.
View attachment 882602
View attachment 882608

View attachment 882609

View attachment 882610
Today one of them came all the way out of the sand and actively searched the tank for food.

I never got such a quick feeding response from spiny eels I've kept (this is the first time I have kept a true eel species, as much as I've wanted to). Their behavior is very interesting to watch. I must admit I was not very hopeful for their survival when I bought them, but these are good signs. If they start growing out a bit I may even consider setting up a tank to transition to brackish and then marine, if they last that long.
Cool fish, very unique.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Very cool lil' guys! I would def try frozen krill and peices of shrimp with these guys. bloodworms ime with both spiney eels and true eels ( sw ) was never positive long-term.. but it's awesome that they are eating for you so well and fast! and its is def true.. one mans trash is another mans treasure... wish my lfs had these guys in... i'de find a place for some as well

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
View attachment 882602
View attachment 882608

View attachment 882609

View attachment 882610

Awesome! They look really neat! I would have loved to put some in my swamp for the heck of it but I think they would have made their way into the sump and eaten all the shrimp in my refugium, haha.

You planning on adding some salt or gonna try them full fw?

pudgeking

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
New York City
Thanks for the compliments!

It's gonna be full fw for a while, just hoping for the best. I might try to set up a tank to transition into brackish once they grow out a bit.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Yours look like a brackish eel john_lord_b3 john_lord_b3 . But different than a spaghetti eel.

Reactions: john_lord_b3

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
Yours look like a brackish eel john_lord_b3 john_lord_b3 . But different than a spaghetti eel.
They do have the paddle-like tails which are characteristics of spaghetti eels, and their overall morphology fits the descriptions of a Moringua
Raitaborua, except for the color which isn't pink. A friend suggested that they might be the brackish spaghetti eel Moringua Microchir (maybe you're righty!) but they were caught in a river, many kilometers away from the estuarium.
tails.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey and kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store