spathodus dying of bloat...need help fast

JeffLeMay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2006
Manchester, CT
I just posted the same threat in the general cichlids area, but i might as well do it here as well. the long and short of it is my spathodus has bloat. he stopped eating yesterday, and when i got home tonight i found him pale, bloated, not eating, fins clamped, gasping for air, etc. i can get to the pet store for clout tomorrow, but i do not have a quarantine tank to put him in, so the best i could do would be to treat the entire tank and hope for the best. i guess the real question is, does it sound as though he's already too far gone? if he's suffering and not going to make it, i would just assume euthanize him, as tough as that would be. i dont' want to give up on him, but don't want to be selfish and cause him pain unneccesarily... please help

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
it may be too late... If he is still alive the medicine might not help by then... of course you should look to see what may have caused the bloat to see if the rest of the fish are at risk...

JeffLeMay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2006
Manchester, CT
rest of the fish look ok, although i have had 3 others die in the last 3 weeks...none of them had bloat though, they were fish that were getting beaten on by others...the older these guys get, the more i realize how nasty some of the tangs can be...only other veggie eater is the tropheus, and he looks well and eats like a pig

JeffLeMay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2006
Manchester, CT
i've been feeding spirulina flakes, aquatrol banquet flakes, and the occasional frozen mysis or bloodworms. the other fish are all tangs...a tropheus, a tretacephalus, a helianthus, a brichardi, three transcriptus julies, two calvus, a leleupi, a compressicepps, feeding has been the same for over a year...i'm gonna try the epsom salt to try and get the swelling down, and if he isn't dead in the morning i will treat the tank with clout

ikevi

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
Oregon
So you haven't moved him into his own q-tank??? I get something and move him, a cheap rubber maid at target, a bucket with a sponge filter anything is better than keeping him in the main tank. He might have more than just bloat if it came on this sudden. I for sure would treat with clout if it is bloat and as bad as you say.

For more tips on bloat here: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=24132

Did you add any fish, or do anything major to change the way things are going in the tank?

ikevi

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
Oregon
Well I didn't say anything about the food since it worked for him for 1 year. But yes for that fish blood worms can be a little too much.

And just so you know it has always been my experience that adding fish has been in essence the only reason I get bloat. It doesn't matter if they are big or small. They drastically change things and cause more stress.

Hopefully he is still alive and you are treating him by now.

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
remember one grain of rice can tip the scales... you should research what you have and go over temp, and setup and compatiblity... often bloat is a sign that something else is a miss... food, water quality, tank mates.... it is over whelming... just take it one step at a time...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store