Spawning?

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Hello. These 2 guys have been doing this dance quite a bit. They darken up and go back and forth near the same rock. Could this be courtship or for dominance? There are 9 in the tank and there is a clear dominant one that isn’t either of these.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello. These 2 guys have been doing this dance quite a bit. They darken up and go back and forth near the same rock. Could this be courtship or for dominance? There are 9 in the tank and there is a clear dominant one that isn’t either of these.

I think they don't like each other.

Reactions: jandb

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Mine get into spats but I've never seen them that aggressive.

The largest, alpha one who has the faded color will sometimes get into it spats with the 2nd largest one. I have a third one that doesn't get into spats. That one gets pushed away from food by the alpha sometimes but that's it.

The two who have spats probably do so daily. I'll see the second one leave the cave. Usually they stay in the cave the entire time the lights are out. The 2nd one will try to enter the cave again. The alpha will sometimes move forward and/or make biting motions at the 2nd one.

Sometimes the second one will just sit there. In any case, either immediately or shortly after, the second one will just go into the cave on the other side.

I'll see them move back and forth in the cave sometimes. I can tell by their tails that it's the second one reacting to the alpha Loach.

I have 4 new ones waiting in the QT. My three have been together for 21-22+ years (forth one died like 6-8 years ago). These knew ones are smaller so it'll be interesting to see how they interact with my OG ones.

Edit: Those two are similar in size so maybe thats why it seems to last longer and is more agressive than with my fish. My alpha is significantly larger than the 2nd one. 2nd one still challenges but gives up I guess.

Reactions: tlindsey and jandb
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store