Spearing Sturgeon: Why would you do this?

DanDanUK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Leeds , England
guppy;702580; said:
A few of us do eat gar by the way, it is a bit bland and a pain to prepare but gar balls made from steamed, flaked gar mixed in hush puppy batter then deep fried are quite good and a large gar can feed a lot of people.
That i can apreciate the fish isn't been kiled for nothing :)

stotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
essex uk
bigsmooth;701122; said:
so you are going to go to Wisconsin and catch a sturgeon?

No where did I say that:confused: What I did say is I prefer to catch an release so some one ells can have the joy of fishing for that fish :D And as I said I do understand where guppy is coming from (I shoot so don’t I don’t have a problem with that) if you are going to eat the fish that’s not a problem all I said and sorry if it confused you is I my self if I caught a fish like that i would prefer to release it.;) Not that i have a problem at all as long as its not going to be left to rot on the side of the river.

stotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
essex uk
guppy;702580; said:
I seriously doubt that anybody throws away a sturgeon to rot, they are delicious.
I do agree that the trophy hunting of gar is down right stupid as most are just killed for nothing.
A few of us do eat gar by the way, it is a bit bland and a pain to prepare but gar balls made from steamed, flaked gar mixed in hush puppy batter then deep fried are quite good and a large gar can feed a lot of people.

I read that the roe is poisonous to humans that is why people are careful when it comes to eating them.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I love a good debate....

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Gar roe is toxic but the main reason they are not eaten is that they are full of very fine sharp bones, that is why you steam the flesh until it is easily flaked, then carefully break up the flesh and remove all the little bones, then make garballs or patties.
Lake sturgeon roe is very nice steamed and served with a little garlic butter or made into caviar.

viciousconvict

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Raleigh
and if I have a hunting license for deer, should I think it's okay to shoot an elephant?
sturgeon and other similar fish should not be covered under any fishing license of any sort.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
viciousconvict;736990; said:
and if I have a hunting license for deer, should I think it's okay to shoot an elephant?
sturgeon and other similar fish should not be covered under any fishing license of any sort.
My thoughts exactly.

Scubarod

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2007
Stoon
LINK IS DEAD

ancientfishfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
viciousconvict;736990; said:
Your analogy is ridiculous. It's only okay to shoot and elephant if you have a tag for it. It's only okay to fish for species that are legal if you have a license and obey the limits. What information do you have to support the fact that you feel sturgeon and other similar fish (whatever that means) should not be open to fishermen and women? More than the department of fish and game? I have a good feeling they know a heck of a lot more than you about it. If they don't I strongly encourage you to speak with them. Seriously. My guess is that you are just expressing your personal feelings. That's fine. But, that's all that they are.

ancientfishfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
guppy;700828; said:
First off, there are several types, some protected some not.
That is a Lake sturgeon and they are hatchery raised in Wisconsin, they have a limited hook and line season and a size limit, I think the limit is 1 per year, in addition people can purchase a liscence to spearfish through the ice in some lakes, catch is strictly limited and once the preset # is reached the season closes. Nationwide the species (Acipenser fulvscens) is listed as "of least concern", due to good management practices there are enough to sustain a sport harvest in Wisconsin. In Oregon we can harvest limited #s of white sturgeon, but not green sturgeon. As to why? As BeBlonde said, they are tasty.
So you knee jerk protectionists who jumped on the band wagon of slamming this guy should chill, do a little research before putting your feet in your mouths.
Exactly!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store