sperata acicularis or aor .. pics please

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
I wanted to see if any of you guys are keeping these and if you could give a brief summary of your experience with them.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I have an acicularis. Its a really nice cat allthough its growing quite slow imo but i inow GiantFishKeeper101 GiantFishKeeper101 has other experience with the growthrate on acicularis and has a nice thread on the speratas he used go keep. They can be quite mean even in small sizes mine has 6 7-9cm jaguarcichlids on its conscience.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
I have an acicularis. Its a really nice cat allthough its growing quite slow imo but i inow GiantFishKeeper101 GiantFishKeeper101 has other experience with the growthrate on acicularis and has a nice thread on the speratas he used go keep. They can be quite mean even in small sizes mine has 6 7-9cm jaguarcichlids on its conscience.
I bought one last week at like 7 inches and it ate tilapia filet the first night.. I was hoping they grew as fast as some of the other cats RTC or TSN

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I bought one last week at like 7 inches and it ate tilapia filet the first night.. I was hoping they grew as fast as some of the other cats RTC or TSN
I would not say it grows that fast at all. But thats my experience with it. Mine has grown from about 7cm to 15-16cm since september last year.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
My recent one (aor) has gone from 2" to 10" in six month. It feeds mainly on pellets with the odd occasion it has taken fish or mussel. Recently he has been falling out with my albino mystus so now in a 4 ft tank alone growing on to go in the pond. I don't find him to be aggressive and the albino mystus is only 6", to be honest his main problem is lack of aggression and not being willing to stand up for himself.

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
My recent one (aor) has gone from 2" to 10" in six month. It feeds mainly on pellets with the odd occasion it has taken fish or mussel. Recently he has been falling out with my albino mystus so now in a 4 ft tank alone growing on to go in the pond. I don't find him to be aggressive and the albino mystus is only 6", to be honest his main problem is lack of aggression and not being willing to stand up for himself.
Hmmm that's definitely fast growing. I know pellets make a big difference. There isnt much info about these fish at all

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Mine are S. acicularis, they go from 5" to 16" in 7 months. Average growth rate of 1-1.5" a month. They're not fussy eaters, best kept solo as it will kill smaller tank mates. But at 16", they still haven't shown any aggression, perhaps that's one of the difference between Aor & acicularis. But it's also maybe due to the facts that most acicularis are captive bred, reared in same space with others, may reduce their aggression. Unfortunately sold mine, I'm regretting that decision now

Fishman Dave Fishman Dave why I have the feeling that yours look a bit different from any Speratas I see. Looks to me like it have shorter body & snout

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
Mine are S. acicularis, they go from 5" to 16" in 7 months. Average growth rate of 1-1.5" a month. They're not fussy eaters, best kept solo as it will kill smaller tank mates. But at 16", they still haven't shown any aggression, perhaps that's one of the difference between Aor & acicularis. But it's also maybe due to the facts that most acicularis are captive bred, reared in same space with others, may reduce their aggression. Unfortunately sold mine, I'm regretting that decision now

Fishman Dave Fishman Dave why I have the feeling that yours look a bit different from any Speratas I see. Looks to me like it have shorter body & snout
The tank I bought this one from had 5 of them around 7-8 inches and they were beating the **** out of each other. I went back 2 days later and many of them had damaged or missing eyes. I mentioned to the guy that they shouldn't be in the same tank like that. Mine is acicularis I believe

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
I have kept an aor, when smaller than 12" you can expect 2" a month growth rate, even if fed on alternate days.

I have found them to be very aggressive towards both bottom dwellers as well as mid level swimmers as well.

Will hide most of the time, but when it's feeding time will actively swim around the tank in search of food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store