Sperata acicularis

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Even in 720g, an 11" sperata will get their foods, either frozen or live. For a catfish, they are fast & agile, even during the day they will catch their prey. So anyway, hopefully you can achieve great growth rate, keep on updating.
Yeah as soon as he reaches 15-20cm i will move him to a 700L tank with my rays until he can go down in my pool with the bigger fishes. As for now he is quite shy but at least he eats when the tank is dark. I switched the light today to a regular lightfixture from a 8000 kelvin led to keep the light dimmed down.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
My alleged acicularis is a hard fella to take a pic of. Always hiding in its cave and when the tank light is on even since i switched the led to a really warmwhite almost yellow light. Its eating pellets like an monster but grows quite slower then i expected. 20180921_171921.jpg

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
My alleged acicularis is a hard fella to take a pic of. Always hiding in its cave and when the tank light is on even since i switched the led to a really warmwhite almost yellow light. Its eating pellets like an monster but grows quite slower then i expected. View attachment 1336066
I never gave a cave to my fish, surely they'll hide. Small growth in fish aren't noticeable in a big tank, unless you measured it. Give it a few weeks, I'm sure that he'll suprise you

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I never gave a cave to my fish, surely they'll hide. Small growth in fish aren't noticeable in a big tank, unless you measured it. Give it a few weeks, I'm sure that he'll suprise you
Yeah your right about the tanksize. Its footprint is 95x35cm. I removed the cave and thinking of removing the redmoor root i got in the tank to. But my baby goldjags is enjoying the root. Got hold of 10 gold jaguars for about 30 usd last week and i couldnt pass on that offer so they are in the same tank right now since i dont have any free tank atm.

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Out trio had no hide in their 240 gal growing up and has done fine. They hadn't shown a remarkable growth either but it was solid.

I think to fool a fish you need a deep blue light or perhaps a deep red light. Yellow won't do, they can still register it. I think fish perceive the same electromagnetic spectrum as humans in terms of light just narrower, hence the blue and the red tricks.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Out trio had no hide in their 240 gal growing up and has done fine. They hadn't shown a remarkable growth either but it was solid.

I think to fool a fish you need a deep blue light or perhaps a deep red light. Yellow won't do, they can still register it. I think fish perceive the same electromagnetic spectrum as humans in terms of light just narrower, hence the blue and the red tricks.

Since i removed the redmoor and the terracottacave its been more active chasing the goldjags and eating well. Gonna pick up an led with only blue chips in it tomorrow then to see if it works better then the yellowish light thats on the tank right now. Was thinking of just put an regular lightbulb over the tank to se if i could get the tank dimmed down.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Keep an eye on the chasing. It's a territorial behavior. It will only get worse.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Keep an eye on the chasing. It's a territorial behavior. It will only get worse.
That i will do. They jags growing much faster so they will move to a bigger tank soon. They need a cm or two more then they are ready to move and with their hunger for pellets they will grow fast.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Update! Estimated 13-14", the girth & long barbels are impressive when see up close. Still no aggression, even with each other but voracious as hell.

View attachment 1338495 View attachment 1338496
They are stunning. Cant wait until mine gets some size. Have grown maybe one cm since i got it. But munching pellets down as a kid in the candystore. Chasing of my goldjags from his part of the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store