Spider Kelberi with Popeye

dthatcherjr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
I thought I would post this here to help the next person. I had recently bought a Spider Kelberi at a LFS. I had been watching it for a month and no one had bought it yet . It was a 5 incher and they wanted $200 for it. I observed Day 1 he was a beautiful Gold with the spider markings a gorgeous PB. I like growing my fish out , and could not really justify the price. So I kept stopping by looking for a Rhino pleco I was hunting. I notice over time the fish grew darker in color losing it gold and eyes were slightly bigger and body looked more sunken. At first I was attributing it to lighting and just lack of feeding. However, by the 5th week the fish was completely like a dark olive green and spider markings almost not visual. Honestly, it no longer looked like a Kelberi to the untrained eye . This is a A++ LFS so I could no imagine the water quality was bad, but the fish to me was either sick or just not eating all this time. However, the coloration change made me lean toward sick. I lost a mono once from a different LFS a year ago and it rapidly did that dark color change too.

So with it being the pandemic and I know stores hurting I called up there and asked about the fish . I was leaning towards rescuing it . They offered a 15% off and up I went. I took it against y better judegemnt , but took a chance to support a local LFS and for the fish. At this point when I grabbed him he looked really sullen , eyes popeye ,and dark olive green.

So I get it home and I put it in a 120 I have. It is one that I had ready for 2 other PB I was growing out that are 3 inchs now. They were currently in my medic tank transitioning. The SP Kel did the usual fist day actions keeping to itself in the corner . Then after a day of looking closely he begin to show symptoms of septic. He had red lines in his fins and gills. The numbers are perfect in the tank . So not knowing what if anything he might have introduced into the tank I did a 50% out -25% in WC to medic him there.

I start a broad treatment using salt and fin and body API. The next morning (Day 2) home the small bug eye had turned into the worst case of popeye I had every seen. I searched everywhere including MK and did not find any success stories with popeye on a peacock bass that was not due to injury anywhere .

Day 3 I start daily WC and add melafix to the treatment 5ml per 10 gallons. Day 4 the popeye is only slightly better. With all me searches on the web leading to dead PB I panick and order next day Kanaplex.

Day 5 starts WC, melafix 5ml per 10, salt ,and Kanaplex 125mgl per. 20 gal. I dropped the fin and body from the cocktail .

Day 6 he looks better

Day 7 and he is getting his Yellow coloration back and spider markings are slightly visible . Red septic streaks are gone and popeye is gone .

I am going to medicate thru Day 10 to be safe , but I think I won this battle with whatever parasite or bacteria infection this guy had. However, still not out of the woods as popeye as you know is usually a sign of something bad else that is wrong and possibly even internal organ failure . He is eating though. He would not eat bloodworms or pellets but on a whim I put in a small shad and he ate it. So I am encouraged.

I hope this helps the next guy .

Last edited:

dthatcherjr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
Just a follow up . The fish is doing well , but he still is not eating much. He now eats a a few blood worms that fall in front of him. It looks like a successful rescue .

Reactions: Dalfrey86

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I have no experience with peacock bass, but I have rescued a number of fish over the years (discus, angels, silver dollars) having bad cases of popeye, HITH, internal parasites, and plain bad conditions.
It seems as if you were able to revert much of the popeye and other ailments, and even if it is 'not yet out of the woods', your story is one that speaks of success.
You have done a good thing, have ended with what sounds like a great fish, and should be very happy. Congrats, good luck, and perhaps post some before/after pictures sometime (even just after pictures!)? As you suggested, your experience may help others, myself included.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store