spiny Eel for a 75g?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I did find one online a week ago, but it was 120 dollars, so a bit pricy.

Reactions: Kelly_Aquatics

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
I mean it depends on what you want and what is local because if its spiny eels their are quite of few species that can fill the bill but some are rare example the majority of the spiny eels in lake tanganyika, then their are fish that are rather elongated as these fish including the spiny’s are not true eels bichirs like you know are called sometimes the dinosaur eel, then their are the dragons eels which are in reality the violet gobies(Gobioides broussonnetii), and some find that the water cow goby(Bleotris fusca) rather eel like, then their are wolffish(family Erythrinidae)and bowfin(Amia calva) which I find rather eel-like and because you are in the americas maybe you can find a farm that sell american eels(Anguilla rostrata) and these guys are true eels then their is the true freshwater moray eel(Gymnothorax polyuranodon) then are loaches that are rather eel like example: dojo loaches(Misgurnus anguillicaudatus),purple Yangtze loach(Leptobotia bellacauda), royal clown loach(Leptobotia elongata). Then their is a species of lungfish that grows too a smaller size than other species of lungfish its called the gilled lungfish(Protopterus amphibius). I know most of these may grow too big for a 75 gallon but it all depends on personal preference.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter when I go of to university my dad says he wants to hold on to them till I am done I offered to get someone else to hold onto them or rehome them but he wants to until im done by the way do you have pics of those 30" ers and yes I totaly agree I would not have these fish If I did not have a plan
All the visuals are in the thread you had linked. I don't believe I lucked out but our black spotted eels are 6 years old and have been kept in a bit larger than usual tank for most of their live with us (240 gal 8x2x2; only recently they have gone into 1800 gal) ... perhaps it is a gender disparity, IDK enough about them. There is a reason why one of ours is stuck at 18" and kno4te kno4te 's is too and others state the 20" max, which I hope is taken from serious sources (links would be desirable; like this link says IMPORTED at up to 20" https://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/Eels/BlackSpottedEel.php ).

Same link says: Size of fish - inches: 20.0 inches (50.80 cm) - Fish of over 20 inches (50.8 cm) are commonly imported. There is some question over the maximum adult size of this fish, it is established at over 20 inches. How much it may exceed this is unclear. Lifespan: 18 years - Spiny eels have a lifespan of 8-18 years. https://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/Eels/BlackSpottedEel.php

FishBase https://www.fishbase.se/summary/Mastacembelus-dayi.html says 1 foot (only because scientific literature hasn't described bigger specimen).

I tend to think in the wild, they reach 3 to 4 feet (I went to google to try find support for it but failed!). There must be a reason why some stay under 20" in our hands after many years. We just don't get it why. We should try.

But long story short, it may be a gamble for you as for anyone else and also, if you are wary that your eel may outgrow your tank, you could prearrange a hand off with someone local to you with an adequate tank before even getting your eel.

You have to understand, he is one of the best fish keepers I’ve ever even SEEN. His level of knowledge and experience is better than all of us combined
I much appreciate it, Kolton, albeit I most vehemently disagree. I believe in a well-meaning community.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
If you cover for the possibility of any fish outgrowing your tank with an LFS or a friend or a peer from MFK, I see no moral objection to trying any fish. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: MatteoTheEnder22

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Have you considered Malawi spiny eels, probably impossible to find, but they are a foot.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
ok I might give it a go I also have my 125g it could go in if it outgrows the 75g but is that any better?
If you are too get one and put it in the 125 you are gonna have too put lots of substate too promote digging. Also thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter have you seen any negative side effects of putting species that commonly dig like spiny eels without any substrate?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store