Spiny eel ID

DeeBee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2018
very interesting. the video is of the actual fish. If it helps they came in as borneo eels
Searching for macrognathus of Borneo I have found m aculeatus. Viewing images of course brings up all sorts but there are some that do appear to be aculeatus. When searching aculeatus this came up http://novataxa.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/ichthyology-2009-macrognathus.html
Again there is m dorsiocellatus which they state is from the aculeatus group tho it's from Myanmar.
I am no expert on these spiny eels just a digger for information as i am endlessly frustrated by the misidendentification especially of the commonly kept species.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Searching for macrognathus of Borneo I have found m aculeatus. Viewing images of course brings up all sorts but there are some that do appear to be aculeatus. When searching aculeatus this came up http://novataxa.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/ichthyology-2009-macrognathus.html
Again there is m dorsiocellatus which they state is from the aculeatus group tho it's from Myanmar.
I am no expert on these spiny eels just a digger for information as i am endlessly frustrated by the misidendentification especially of the commonly kept species.

Think you got it. Thank you

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
so many different types no wonder some seller's sometimes sell eels under the wrong names. The second one from the top looks like Charney's eel.

MisterToken

Feeder Fish
Aug 9, 2019
Hi there,

We picked up this eel this morning. The guy at the aquarium said that they came in instead of their order of Peacock eels. They love live worms and seemed social.
It's about 7inches.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Nice eel. Looks like macrognathus taeniagaster.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store