Spotted Congo puffer breeding tips and set up ideas

PKPuffer

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
Looking for advice on spotted Congo puffers. Wondering if you could give me advice on what type of set up would give me the best odds of success.

If anybody has experience or suggestions on how many tanks, what size, how many grow out tanks for how many different size fry, filtration options anything you can think of and if you know of a resource I should read or watch that would be great too.

Last but not least a reputable supplier if you know of any. I had heard of Below Water as a supplier and that he is based in Canada (as am I).

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Since i dont have personal experience with this species as i mentioned before, hopefully someone will chime in and give you some advise!

Also good luck with your breeding project once you get it up it up running so that we can get more of these amazing puffers available in the hobby...

PKPuffer

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
Since i dont have personal experience with this species as i mentioned before, hopefully someone will chime in and give you some advise!

Also good luck with your breeding project once you get it up it up running so that we can get more of these amazing puffers available in the hobby...
Have you kept Amazon puffers?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Have you kept Amazon puffers?
I had a friend that kept them before, i personally was not a fan of the teeth trimming initially, then when i wanted to keep them i couldnt find any from any of my usual haunts...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I’ve personally kept: Dwarfs / C.Irrubessco / Palembangs / T.Abei / T.Miurus / T.Bailey / T.Lineus

Also had F8’s and GSP’s but that was when i started out and didnt know any better so wouldn't really count them as being kept since they didnt last long due to my ignorance and listening to the LFS...

The ones i wished i would have bought when i had a chance include: SAPS / T.Suvatti / C.Salivator / T.Pustulatus, although that one was way out of my price range at the time and probably always will be...

Reactions: PKPuffer

PKPuffer

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
I’ve personally kept: Dwarfs / C.Irrubessco / Palembangs / T.Abei / T.Miurus / T.Bailey / T.Lineus

Also had F8’s and GSP’s but that was when i started out and didnt know any better so wouldn't really count them as being kept since they didnt last long due to my ignorance and listening to the LFS...

The ones i wished i would have bought when i had a chance include: SAPS / T.Suvatti / C.Salivator / T.Pustulatus, although that one was way out of my price range at the time and probably always will be...

Thanks for sharing!

PKPuffer

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
One sec Cross river puffer? You saw it?
Wow! What were they asking for it and where did you run into it?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
One sec Cross river puffer? You saw it?
Wow! What were they asking for it and where did you run into it?
They were asking equivalent to just over $1K USD for it... so too rich for my blood since i’ll be moving next year...

I think i made a post about it here somewhere, let me see if i can dig it up...

-edit-

Here is the original post

Also here is a link to the stores FB page with the last picture they had of the Cross River...

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store