spotted gar sick?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
You may need a much bigger tank or a small pond.

The needle will likely always be crippled, but will likely survive just fine this way

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
You may need a much bigger tank or a small pond.

The needle will likely always be crippled, but will likely survive just fine this way

divine1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2018
What are the ammonia levels, the no2 levels, and no3 levels? And what ph is the tank?

I understand the filter is from an established tank, but when was the last time it was cleaned? Also, what kind of filter?
Its an eheim pick up 60. It was cleaned before i put it in the new fish. I do suspect that its not good enought tho. It all went very well and when the fish finally started to eat, it might be its more suited for starving fish who produce no waste. Talk about waste. Theres hardly anything. I suspected them to be constipated because i hardly see any poop, but they really dont look like they are. Because of the filter size theres never left over food laying around in the aquarium and if theres any other debree its picked up. And with the 30% water change, i tought the water would be better than what my test says.

divine1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2018
Just reminded with the 300g post. A great post on fish sizing to tank size.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/proper-husbandry-for-your-gar.419773/#post5169682
Ty for this link. The plan is 20g now to be able to establish feeding routine. Then 40g when they get bigger -or if my 20g seems too little to keep water parameters stable, I will move them soon. Then I have a 100g they can stay in until they need bigger space. The 300g is when they outgrow the 100g.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

divine1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2018
Hi. Its me again.
I did eventually end up euthanize my gar. It was not eating, its back was severly damaged both vertically and horizontally and it barely moved around.

The reason why im posting again is that my worried about my other gar that has been all fine and well until it stopped eating 5 days ago. I finally got it to eat something else than shrimp and its been feeding on cod filet which im giving it with a tong. Has worked nicely and the gar has been eating well and grown alot. It is extremely sensitive to changes in the tank tho. After a water change, it doesnt wanna eat first day or two even tho there should be minimal difference in tp. I did cave in and gave it som live feeders thinking it was nice for "him" to eat bones, skin, intenstines etc rather than only filet. However, my gar didnt eat a single feeder and until i removed them again, it didnt wanna eat anything really. I slowly lowered the Tp to 20 degrees C since i read it requires 15-20 degrees, but it stopped eating and didnt eat until it was back to its usual 24 degrees. But all in all things has been stable for months now.

Now its not been eating for 5 days which is a concern because i cant figure out any obvious reasons for it. It seems to want food, but as soon as its close enough to grab the food, it looks like he gags or swallows really heavly. Then it swims away. The fish who died also did the same, so im kinda worried when i see the same behaviour. This one tho has no external injuries or shows no signs of discomfort beside its not eating. Is it possible it can be constipated due to filet only?
I know it wont die from not eating for 5 days, but he has been eating well every day last 5 months so a sudden change isnt a good one.

The water parameters is:
GH 5
NO2 0,01
NO3: 0
pH 7,4
Tp 24 C

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store