HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy

I just thought I’d share a pic of one of my older spotted Raphaels. I’ve had him for about 10 years. Great cat, has cohab’ed with piranhas, wolf fish, dat, monster knife fish, tiny Endlers, RCS, you name it. Never had any problems. Best cat species ever IMHO. I have about a dozen of them in my tank, at different size. I tend to pick them up every now and then when I see the cute tiny ones at my LFS.

Just a pain to get out of driftwood if you choose to redecorate lol

HarleyK

9888D9D8-E15B-43E6-B540-D913D1A560B7.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Howdy

I just thought I’d share a pic of one of my older spotted Raphaels. I’ve had him for about 10 years. Great cat, has cohab’ed with piranhas, wolf fish, dat, monster knife fish, tiny Endlers, RCS, you name it. Never had any problems. Best cat species ever IMHO. I have about a dozen of them in my tank, at different size. I tend to pick them up every now and then when I see the cute tiny ones at my LFS.

Just a pain to get out of driftwood if you choose to redecorate lol

HarleyK

View attachment 1388550

Yes they are great catfish.

Reactions: kno4te

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Raphael catfish are some of the best catfish you can get if you ask me, what’s not to love about them? I have 3 or 4.

Reactions: kno4te

fishRstressful

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2019
since y’all have had these rafaels for awhile, would you say they’re content being solo or is it better have multiples?

since y’all have had these rafaels for awhile, would you say they’re content being solo or is it better have multiples?
They are gregarious in the wild and do well together. However, it is not necessary to have them in groups. I'd advise it, though. The ones in groups seem to live longer IME

I have had them for 4 years, have about 14 now.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I agree. A single one will live, but a group will thrive. Mine hang out together all the time, regardless of age/size.

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
I'd maybe get a raphael if bigger ones were available. The tiny ones everyone sells wouldn't last a minute in my tank.

Minus2003

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
St. George, SC
I'd maybe get a raphael if bigger ones were available. The tiny ones everyone sells wouldn't last a minute in my tank.
The Irwini Catfish (Giant Raphael) looks more like the striped Raphael and gets around 24". really want one but i don't have a tank big enough

Reactions: adamsfishes
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store