Spreading the aggression of CA/SA cichlids...

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Ive seen a heavily stocked 500 gallon sa/ca mixed tank. Even had a breeding pair of midevils. Along with various other fish including a huge red tail cat and giant gourami. So it CAN work. But the if it can and if it's best for the fish are two different things. I think that's the biggest debate. At least to me.
Also on a controversial side note. The gentleman that owns aforementioned tank also only does monthly water changes.

Reactions: Vukmir13

Vukmir13

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
Parrish, Florida
Wow, I'm not here to be judge or jury, however I wouldn't be able to function with normal daily activities if I didn't do my routine 2x per week water changes. My water parameters are consistently impeccable, however my fish seem to enjoy the fresh new water and that's good enough reward for me.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
A lot depends on the species. Some like geos and thorichthys like to be kept in groups. Some don't like dovii. Temperaments vary w/ SA/CA cichlds. You have a better chance of keeping a peaceful tank if you don't mix different temperaments.
Tank size really matters in aggression. African cichlds in the wild live in close quarters. CA cichlds are spread out w/ larger territories. The bigger the tank the less chances you'll have aggression and it's better to handle the bioload.
There are a lot of fish I want, but won't keep them until I get 200g+. It's not fair to cram big fish in smaller tanks. They never reach their full potential.

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
Seen alot of all male amphilophus tanks stocked really heavy, rusty wessel tanks are all heavily stocked, I think it takes alot more planning then just dropping random fish in the tank, I personally wouldn't do it I think you lose some of the personality of the fish but that's just me.
Oh its definitely not just you. I had intended on posting the exact same thing :)

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
"How would their personality/behavior be altered by being in a community style setup?"

Lemme count the ways......

I keep Vieja, this is how they are. A tank full of Amph's would probably be different. A tank with Parachromis would be a waste of time, so I don't even consider it (I kid).

with just 2-3 fish in a big tank, they'll all cruise around more, faster, stretch out a little more. When they decide they don't like one of their neighbors, with just 2-3 fish in a tank, their fights seem much more likely to be long drawn out fights that end with one in the corner the next morning with no scales.

As you add more fish to the tank, they move around less and less because they don't want to bump into a neighbor. fights in a heavy stocked are less serious, though.

I've had Vieja in a 125 so heavily stocked that they just all faced the same direction and didn't move all day. when one did move, the rest would move too until they were all adjusted.

Africans don't do that. I've seen them in tanks in restaurants, and heavily stocked, they still stay very active. CA Cichlids get much less active when heavily stocked.

And this is full grown CA Cichlids. I've noticed that CA Cichlid fry can be very heavily stocked in a grow out tank until they're about 4-6 inches--then the killing starts.

Reactions: smjack and Vukmir13

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
Ive seen a heavily stocked 500 gallon sa/ca mixed tank. Even had a breeding pair of midevils. Along with various other fish including a huge red tail cat and giant gourami. So it CAN work. But the if it can and if it's best for the fish are two different things. I think that's the biggest debate. At least to me.
Agreed. Its just as wrong to overstock a 55 gallon with Africans to "spread the aggression" as it is to overstock a 180 with New World cichlids.

In such a heavily stocked tank, every fish is always on alert, there is always mild to moderate aggression everywhere. You never get to see a fish relax, dig a hole, do cichlid things... Basically, you're treating your fish more as ornaments than pets.

Reactions: ehh and Vukmir13

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
Why can't I delete a double post?

Last edited:

Vukmir13

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
Parrish, Florida
ragin_cajun ragin_cajun super excellent info, my wife and I applaud your writing. I think at this point, I'm going to leave my stock as is. I have a 125 gallon with 1 Oscar, 1 green terror, 1 jd, 1 Friedrichsthalii, 1 Kirin Parrot, 1 albino bushynose pleco, and 1 gold nugget pleco. They all range from 3"-6". So far, they have been coexisting peacefully, however I will be posting their progress to hopefully help someone else out if they ever decide to venture down this same path. Thanks again

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store