Squid as a staple

gatotsu77

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2006
Orange, CA
Sweet. I'll have to give it a shot and see how my fish like it. :)

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
mmmm will try this :)
hope my fish also like squid .
btw is squid easily digested? because when cooked its like rubber :)

skinless

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2005
Edmonton, CAN
this thread made me curious, so i grabbed some squid cubes at the big als this weekend for my midas. he's not a fan. yet

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
I'm gonna run to A&P after work and pick some up. I'm looking forward to this. IDK what happened, but it seems my ray changed drastically after a week in my care. He went from an OK eater to a flat out monster once food hit the water. I love em!

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
I'm gonna run to A&P after work and pick some up. I'm looking forward to this. IDK what happened, but it seems my ray changed drastically after a week in my care. He went from an OK eater to a flat out monster once food hit the water. I love em!

looks like your ray finally got acclimated to its environment. Congrats and feed your ray well.

Deathcurl

BOO!!!
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
NYC
I feed all of my fish squid along with shrimp, cut fish, pellets, etc. I don't want them to really gravitate towards one thing, because they can eventually become finicky like a 2 year old child, haha.

For my rays, however, it did become a mainstay for them, mainly because it was less messy and held together better on the tank bottom. Rays sometimes like to chew and spit, which makes a big cloudy mess. The squid was more of a chew and swallow food. Preparation was easier than shelling shrimp as well.

jarcher1390

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Cumbria
ok im going to be the dum 1 but where the do u get squid from as i would of thought the 1s at the supermarket would be pump full of chemicals and the same as shrimp and do u feed from frozen or fresh

Deathcurl

BOO!!!
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
NYC
Over here, I get fresh squid, fish and shrimp from fish markets. In a pinch I have some of the frozen stuff on hand, but generally, I buy larger quantities of the fresh stuff, portion it out into plastic bags and freeze it myself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store