Stand for tank

Takeo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2017
I just have a concern about a tank that I have ordered. It’s going to be arriving in the next couple of weeks. The dimensions are 60”x24”x24”. I have a stand with a platform of 59”x22”. Since there is a difference, I was going to put a sheet of plywood and a layer of polystyrene under the tank in the hopes to support it sufficiently. Would I be better to just make a new stand or would the 1-2” lip be okay?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I just have a concern about a tank that I have ordered. It’s going to be arriving in the next couple of weeks. The dimensions are 60”x24”x24”. I have a stand with a platform of 59”x22”. Since there is a difference, I was going to put a sheet of plywood and a layer of polystyrene under the tank in the hopes to support it sufficiently. Would I be better to just make a new stand or would the 1-2” lip be okay?

Some have used plywood to makeup for 1-2 inches but I personally would just build a stand with the same dimensions of the aquarium due to the size and weight.

Reactions: skjl47

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; While you may get away with laying a sheet of plywood on the smaller stand, I agree with getting a proper sized stand.
Two things come to mind. One is the center of gravity. At the very least the stand should be secured to a wall or something somehow to help prevent tipping over. The chance of a tip over may be slight, but with weight outside the footprint of the stand a bit more possible.

Another is that many tanks are designed to have the weight supported at the perimeter of the base. This essentially places the total weight on the edges of a sheet of plywood out over the air. A cantilever in effect very dependent on the strength of the edge of that sheet of plywood. Likely should use the better grade of plywood at the very least.

Good luck and keep us informed if you try it.

Reactions: tlindsey

Takeo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2017
Hello; While you may get away with laying a sheet of plywood on the smaller stand, I agree with getting a proper sized stand.
Two things come to mind. One is the center of gravity. At the very least the stand should be secured to a wall or something somehow to help prevent tipping over. The chance of a tip over may be slight, but with weight outside the footprint of the stand a bit more possible.

Another is that many tanks are designed to have the weight supported at the perimeter of the base. This essentially places the total weight on the edges of a sheet of plywood out over the air. A cantilever in effect very dependent on the strength of the edge of that sheet of plywood. Likely should use the better grade of plywood at the very least.

Good luck and keep us informed if you try it.
I'm just going to make a new stand for it. Knowing my luck I'd have a problem with the plywood. The stand itself was just made from box section with a wooden 'skirt' around it. It would have been more than strong enough to support it

Thanks for all the input.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store