Stand or not for huge plywood tank

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Figures. The world is ridden with examples of invasives being purposely introduced for various dumb-ass reasons and turning into ecological problems; can you say "Australia"? I guess the Powers-That-Be didn't learn anything from those debacles, so now they are creating hybrid invasives and releasing them to control the early mistakes?

What's next? An officially-sanctioned hybrid fish jumps out of the water and smacks a high-speed boater in the face, causing an accident...will we then be inundated with gummint-approved radioactive hybrid invasives to kill off the old regular-hybrid invasives?

Sounds cool! Personally, I'm gonna wait for a short-body radioactive hybrid peacock bass before I jump on the bandwagon...

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
Brewing your own hybrid invasive species seems like such crazy talk, particularly in light of what invasive species have done in FL already. Constrictors come to mind first. It amazes me that someone in F&G or USF&W could come up w/ an idea like that and not be chased out of the office.

Reactions: jjohnwm

SeabeeShrek

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2022
Cape Coral, Florida
ocellaris was one type they used… they held them back in a lab. Mixed 3 different species together breeding in tanks..then released them in 1984. I believe this was after the initial failed attempt with temensis. The hybrids were more cold tolerant. Kinda funny really… invasives made and released by the state.
I know they were introduced to battle the explosive population growth of the Myan cichlid.

SeabeeShrek

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2022
Cape Coral, Florida
Over the weekend, I’ll be installing one of the table tops. Then the back wall will get the epoxy treatment. By Christmas all of the epoxy will be done and the front glass will be installed.
I’m trying to decide whether to place mangrove tree rootballs on the bottom or just sand and a cement statue (Celtic cross). I found one that is 4’ tall. I decided to forgo the idea of a predator tank, mainly because of food cost. Going back to using this for koi and shubukins, also incorporating hydroponics to filter the tank.

Flaring Afro

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2016
How much did you pay for the table and was it new? That sounds like a good way to save money on the glass.

SeabeeShrek

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2022
Cape Coral, Florida
We’ve all seen those small vehicle decorations that are air bubblers. Well I found a free ford bronco power wheel that I’m going to use for one complete with two pond lights for the headlights.

IMG_4462.jpeg

IMG_6056.jpeg

IMG_6057.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Parka
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store