Stand wobble safe?

fishmarket

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2021
earth
Hey all,

I recently got a used 240 gallon with a steel frame stand. The previous owners had it on carpet but when I placed it in my basement which has concrete flooring the stand was wobbled sitting empty. The metal stand sits on a wooden board cut to size and there is Styrofoam between the tank and the stand, the wooden piece that the stand sits on does not wobble on the floor, only the metal stand. The people who helped me move the tank put cardboard to stop the wobble but the tank was slightly not leveled when I filled it up. I feel like the wobble would have resolved itself once the tank filled and got heavy. I'm thinking of removing the cardboard that is probably causing the uneven levels. I thought I'd ask the experts here for their thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey all,

I recently got a used 240 gallon with a steel frame stand. The previous owners had it on carpet but when I placed it in my basement which has concrete flooring the stand was wobbled sitting empty. The metal stand sits on a wooden board cut to size and there is Styrofoam between the tank and the stand, the wooden piece that the stand sits on does not wobble on the floor, only the metal stand. The people who helped me move the tank put cardboard to stop the wobble but the tank was slightly not leveled when I filled it up. I feel like the wobble would have resolved itself once the tank filled and got heavy. I'm thinking of removing the cardboard that is probably causing the uneven levels. I thought I'd ask the experts here for their thoughts? Thanks in advance!
I suggest finding the most level spot in the basement and work on leveling the stand.
You may have to use a shims to get the stand
perfectly level.

fishmarket

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2021
earth
I suggest finding the most level spot in the basement and work on leveling the stand.
You may have to use a shims to get the stand
perfectly level.
I checked with a level and the bubble was in the middle for all sides which confused me as the water level in the tank was visibly slightly not level. I'll look more into shims though to be sure.

Reactions: tlindsey

fishmarket

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2021
earth
Check the stands welds it could have been damaged in the move as steel stands usually dont wobble
I'll check again when I get home later but it seemed pretty solid when I gave it a clean when it got home. Feels more like it wobbles because it was slightly bent out of shape, maybe from transport? I had to tightly fasten with straps and the drive was an hour and a half with some hills.

Zkris28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2019
Ohio
Put it where you want, and use composite shims to get the stand how you need it. I promise everything will be fine. Same thing had happened on my 11x3x3 750 gallon(2 or 3k lb dry weight i beleive). If that bad boy with eurobracing on top and inside can be held up with shims on a 1/4 inch gap, I promise you that your 240 will be golden. PM me if you have any questions

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Very easy to hammer tap a steel leg back into line. Pound with a wooden block between to avoid paint damage. Or can use a car jack to widen the gap between legs with some wood spacers to help.

The weld will be stronger than the steel itself unless it's very badly done.

aussieman57

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
More likely than not your floor is not level. Check your floor and shim the stand as advised before you think about pounding and bending a steel frame. If it is a decent steel stand highly unlikely it bent/twisted from transport. I've had to shim most of my stands as most floors are not perfectly level.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store