Starting a 55g w seeded media from LFS, suggestions?

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
I'm starting a 55g, have yet to fill it. I'm looking for step by step instructions for using seeded media from my LFS.

1. How much media?
  2. Add some dithers, if so, when?
  3. Should I use Prime at first?

I've done this many times before with my own sponge filter from my 180 to a 25. Hiwever, I sold that tank last year.

jcarson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2018
Las Vegas Nevada
www.instagram.com
How are you filtering your tank? And will it work in your set up?
Is it a seeded sponge filter?
The more media the better, and how much would also depend on your initial stocking.
If your water is disinfected with chlorine and or chloramine then you definitely need to treat your water whether it be prime or any other.

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
I have an FX5 and will be adding a seeded sponge filter from the LFS. I was going to add 3 BA Tetras to the 55g an hour after I add thebseeded sponge. Was gonna add some Prime to it initially for chlorine issues.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
I started my 300g system with a cycled sponge filter and a bag of media from a AC110, within a week or so the bacteria seeded over to my 80g sump with about 40lb of ceramic

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I have an FX5 and will be adding a seeded sponge filter from the LFS. I was going to add 3 BA Tetras to the 55g an hour after I add thebseeded sponge. Was gonna add some Prime to it initially for chlorine issues.
Sounds like a plan. Might do a little more than the 3 BA tetras, the bacterial colony you add to the filter will need enough ammonia to stay alive, though there will probably be a little die off anyway. the population of bacteria will adjust to the level of ammonia being produced, and as you add more fish, it will grow and spread

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
Sounds like a plan. Might do a little more than the 3 BA tetras, the bacterial colony you add to the filter will need enough ammonia to stay alive, though there will probably be a little die off anyway. the population of bacteria will adjust to the level of ammonia being produced, and as you add more fish, it will grow and spread
What do you suggest for the Tetras? Should I go with 6? Im assuming the BB media from the LFS is pretty healthy.

Reactions: tlindsey

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
If your tank is running now, please use your prime before you add the seeded sponge filter.
I'm filling the tank tomorrow and adding Prime and regulating the temp to about 80' to increase the colonization. Then proceeding with the seeded media monday.

Reactions: jcarson

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
What do you suggest for the Tetras? Should I go with 6? Im assuming the BB media from the LFS is pretty healthy.
Yeah 5 or 6 should be fine with the seeded filter pad. Then I'd leave those guys in there for a little while alone to make sure everything is fine, test the water etc.

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
Tank filled last night. Lil bit of Prime and regulated temp. Just now added media to canister will add Buenos Aires tetras within the hour. Will check parameters tomorrow. No feeding for a day or so. We'll see how it goes.

Reactions: Matteus and jcarson
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store