Starting a 75 build around 2 Red Spotted Severums

McLovin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2017
Hey Gang. Long time lurker, first time poster. I've got a 75 gallon that I'm currently cycling and trying to finalize my stock. I've currently got 3 smaller tanks running, successfully, with my previous biggest being a 40B.

So now, that my 75 is a few weeks away from adding fish, I'm wanting to finalize my stock list. I'm hoping to get 2 red spotted severums. I'd like them to be on the smaller size, so I can grow them out a bit. Maybe 2-2.5"

Those are the two I know I want. The rest of the stock, I've played around with and changed my mind a bunch. Ideally, I'd like to add 6 small 1.5" or so clown loaches to grow out as well (am fine to drop this number, just know they like to be in a group). I understand the massive size they eventually get to, and at the rate I'm going, I'll likely upgrade from the 75 around the time everyone is ready for more space.

So that puts me at possibly 2 red spotted sevs and 6 clown loaches (if loaches were totally opposed, emerald corys would be my next choice) I'd like to finish off the stocking with either 3 bolivian rams (2F,1M) or 7-8 congo tetras.

Hardscape will be driftwood and rocks. Will have a few hiding places and places to claim as territories.

I'd love to hear some opinions on what I'm planning. I can't promise I'll take your advice, but I'll certainly listen and do some research if you give me a different perspective.

Thanks for reading, if you've made it this far!

McLovin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2017
Sounds fine to me.

But get a bigger tank, always need a bigger tank.:)
I'm well aware that on MFK, my 75 is considered a nano! I'll eventually get on your guy's level, but for now, I'm working my way up!

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
Stock sounds fine, I’d consider getting about 10 loaches though because you’ll lose about half at that size. They’re pretty week when they finally make it to the lfs. To get best results with loaches a long quarantine in a bare bottom tank with decor they can hide in till they’re all eating like pigs. I’d chose the tetras over the rams to avoid unnecessary cichlid aggression.

Reactions: McLovin

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
Hey Gang. Long time lurker, first time poster. I've got a 75 gallon that I'm currently cycling and trying to finalize my stock. I've currently got 3 smaller tanks running, successfully, with my previous biggest being a 40B.

So now, that my 75 is a few weeks away from adding fish, I'm wanting to finalize my stock list. I'm hoping to get 2 red spotted severums. I'd like them to be on the smaller size, so I can grow them out a bit. Maybe 2-2.5"

Those are the two I know I want. The rest of the stock, I've played around with and changed my mind a bunch. Ideally, I'd like to add 6 small 1.5" or so clown loaches to grow out as well (am fine to drop this number, just know they like to be in a group). I understand the massive size they eventually get to, and at the rate I'm going, I'll likely upgrade from the 75 around the time everyone is ready for more space.

So that puts me at possibly 2 red spotted sevs and 6 clown loaches (if loaches were totally opposed, emerald corys would be my next choice) I'd like to finish off the stocking with either 3 bolivian rams (2F,1M) or 7-8 congo tetras.

Hardscape will be driftwood and rocks. Will have a few hiding places and places to claim as territories.

I'd love to hear some opinions on what I'm planning. I can't promise I'll take your advice, but I'll certainly listen and do some research if you give me a different perspective.

Thanks for reading, if you've made it this far!
Other cool options for a tank like that would be : fancy plecos (green/blue phantom plecos), pink tail chalceus (grows 20cm), pictus catfish, banjo catfish, Odessa barbs, ruby barbs, African bushfish, African butterfly fish, black ghost knife fish some of these fish (black ghost knife fish and chalceus would need a bigger tank) also on the table are striped pike characins and if you eventually upgrade geophagus surinamensis

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I think 2 sevs with the loaches and rams would be fine. Keep an eye on the dominant severum, it might get too rowdy with the other one at some point. I kept two severums in a 90g for years with no problems, but lots of people here seem to have issues with severum aggression.
The loaches size will eventually become a concern, but the key word there is eventually.

McLovin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2017
Awesome help so far guys! Thank you for chiming in!

I'm not totally sold on 2 Severums, if only keeping one would be a better/more peaceful option. Thoughts?

Regarding the cories, the emerald cories do get on the larger side, but I'm leaning towards the loaches for sure. I've got a 20 long setup for quarantine.

McLovin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2017
The loaches size will eventually become a concern, but the key word there is eventually.
Completely understand what you're saying. I appreciate the real-world view this forum has. I've been on many other forums and would get crucified considering adding clown loaches to a 75. However, if the plan from the start is a grow-out for an either bigger tank, or profit, I don't see the harm. I figure that 90% of clown loaches get purchased irresponsibly (20-30 gallon tanks) - so I don't feel bad, keeping six 2-3" guys in there for a while (year or two). Just my rant and why this forum has been a breath of fresh air. Although, I'm sure some of you are shaking your head at me, lol!

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
One severum with the loaches sounds better to me. It removes the risk of them going ham on each other or going to town on other fish if they breed. Also less water changes :D

Also on clown loaches, there are others such as yoyos which have all the fun at a much smaller final size! If you do take clowns there are plenty of people who'd take them when they outgrow your tank, often fetching an okay price too. So there should be options for you :)

Welcome aboard! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store