Starting a tank

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Just that 3 is better than 2 to prevent fighting.

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Firt of all what kind of piranhas are you getting? I assume Red Bellies because they are the most common. In that case either get one or three or more. Two will not work because they will just fight for dominance and kill each other.

If you get three a 20 long should be ok for about 2 months if the fish are all ready an inch long. Three 3" fish in a 20 is pretty crowded. I had fish that were about the size of a quater and in just 7 months they were 7 inches! They grow fast!

After that a 55 gallon is a must. Even then given a good diet and good water quality you will have to upgrade in a year or two. A 75gallon is perfect IMO for three adult RBP.

A ten gallon will work for maybe a month with three RBPs at an inch, 2 months with one RBP. If you are gettin a "black piranha" at about an inch long a ten gallon would be good for about six months then a 29 would be good for about another year, and depending on the species you will have to upgrade from there. Serras do grow very slow compared to RBPs. Good luck.

Joe5688

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
IL
i remember reading that having 3 will be bad. 2 will eat 1 and then 1 will eat the other lol

Joe5688

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
IL
my water got murky today. I added 8 gold fish to now i have 9 fish total. It's just to start my tank. And there was like a white film above the water line. I dont know wat it could be from? any help?

I did a water change to see if it gets any better and it got a little better

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Glad to hear you got the 50g, now transfer the fish over as soon as you can, the murky water and white film were from a seriously over loaded tank, that scum is from unbroken down protiens and bacteria (not the good kind).

Joe5688

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
IL
yeah i thikn it was from leavin my light on to long but as i said i fixed tha problem. I'm waiting till tommorw to fill the tank and everything. I went and cleaned everything because it sat around for a long ass time. I'll get a pic of it later. It's a 55 gallon. Cant wait to put some P's in there! :) It also came with a Fluval MSF 404 filter. I hurd tat it's good and really expensive. Anyone know?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store