Starting New Aquarium! Got some questions!

Jes E.

Feeder Fish
Oct 4, 2017
Hello everyone! to start this is the most active fish forum I could find! I am not asking about predator fish or monster fish more so on setting up a tank! I already asked about the fish I am putting in, in another thread!

I'm starting a new 75 gallon planted tank, but this will be my first planted tank and real aquarium I guess you could say. So, I was thinking of using eco complete as my substrate and put a thin layer of either black or white sand on top of it! So my first question is if just about 3 inches of eco complete and a thin layer of sand on top would be fine to put my plants in?

Next question! The general temperature in my house is around 65 and I am going to need a heater! I was wondering if I should do one strong heater or two weak heaters. One on the right of the tank and one on the left! Also, what heater would you recommend?

Next question! What filter should I get? I have no preference or anything so I would like to get advice on a filter from people who are a lot more skilled in the hobby!

Onto the next, if I collect my own rocks and driftwood from the beach/local ponds/rivers should I boil the wood and the rocks? What should I do to clean them and make sure they are safe to go into my aquarium!

Co2 diffusers! I do not understand if these are necessary or not for my tank and If so do you have one you would recommend?

That is all I have to ask for now! Thank you so much in advance!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The need for a heater depends on what kind of fish you get.
If you kept fish like certain barbs (rosies come to mind) paradise fish, weather loaches, or white clouds, with an ambient temp of 65'F) these fish come from China, and/or Korea, you would not need a heater. If you kept certain high altitude Mexican live bearers, or fish from Uruguay or other places in southern S America, no heater is required.
If northern S America, central Africa or other species from near the equator, a heater will be needed.
For a 75 gal tank, and couple undersize heaters will be fine, you won't need a powerful one,
No need for CO2 at this point.
A hang on back sized filter for a 75 will be adequate.
Make sure you cycle the tank before adding a large number of fish.
By adding lots of plants all at once, and before fish allows them to get established, and they will have a better chance of flourishing, rather than by adding just a few, and will help to cycle the tank especially if you start with only a few small fish.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
one strong heater or two weak heaters
Hello; If you need warmer water then I strongly suggest two smaller power heaters.
3 inches of eco complete and a thin layer of sand
Hello; Never used eco complete so cannot say. I have tried to layer substrates with poor results as it gets all mixed up before long.
I prefer gravel over sand in a planted tank especially if the substrate is to be over 3to 4 inches deep. Gravel ranging from bb size to small pea size. Do a search on sand problems.
I do like the substrate to be four or more inches deep.
collect my own rocks and driftwood from the beach/local ponds/rivers should I boil the wood and the rocks?
Hello; Some report just scrubbing and rinsing. Some report boiling. Some report a bleach solution soak. I would at least do a bleach soak and then rinse and then a dose of PRIME.

Rocks also should be tested with a drop of strong acid. If they fizz indicates limestone.

Also be careful stacking and placing rocks on the glass bottom of a tank. Some have reported a busted tank bottom from rocks falling out of a stack. I do not use rocks in my tanks for this reason.
I also do not use wood in a tank. Many apparently do. I suggest a search on issues with wood in a tank. Coloring or staining the water may be one thing.

need for a heater depends on what kind of fish you get
Hello; This.

couple undersize heaters will be fine
Hello; This

No need for CO2 at this point
Hello; I agree. Been raising lots of plants and never used CO2.

Make sure you cycle the tank before adding a large number of fish
Hello; This is the best suggestion of all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store