Starving a baby silver aro?

Jgro1413

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2018
Hi all, got a new silver arowana that's about 5 inches long and he's eating crickets, krill, plankton and blood worms but now I want to switch him over to pellets every now and then. I've tried numerous brands and he's been eating all of them and then eventually spits them out, alot of people online recommend starving them for a few days but I don't know if this is safe for a small arowana. Anyone have any ideas or input for me? Thanks

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi all, got a new silver arowana that's about 5 inches long and he's eating crickets, krill, plankton and blood worms but now I want to switch him over to pellets every now and then. I've tried numerous brands and he's been eating all of them and then eventually spits them out, alot of people online recommend starving them for a few days but I don't know if this is safe for a small arowana. Anyone have any ideas or input for me? Thanks

Personally wouldn't suggest doing that especially to a young Aro. Just keep offering the pellets and maybe the Aro will start eating them.

trunglippo

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2016
Young fish is very easy to train. Just feed it one or two pellets one time per day. If the fish eats and splits out, it means it’s hungry but not liking the food. Just take the food out after 10 mins and do it the same for few days. The fish will eat eventually.

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
No need to starve it. Feed it what it eats. Eventually it will eat everything. Mine did.

I find small arowanas die fairly easily. Dont risk it.

Reactions: tlindsey

Jgro1413

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2018
Awesome advice, thank you everyone! I was just worried if I can't get him on pellets now that he won't touch them when he's older

Reactions: tlindsey

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
I personally starved my 4" s aro for around 1 month. I would put pellets in every day but he refused to eat them he only wanted blood worms. I was really worried he would die and I decided that if he did oh well. He ate pellets and now he refuses to eat bloodworms.
Also I did do the same with my BGK and it now eats pellets also :)

Reactions: Jgro1413
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store