Still finding capillaria eggs

Cabie

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2018
My green terror started losing his appetite and had stringy white feces, so following philipraposo1982 philipraposo1982 's example, I bought a microscope to examine his feces. I found a lot of capillaria eggs and what I think might be two spironucleus, but the main problem seems to be capillaria, so I gave him a first dose of levamisole HCL 85% (January 8th).

However, yesterday I checked his feces again (found the one he had been dragging the day before, January 11th) and there was still about the same amount of eggs. Is it normal to still find eggs in the feces a few days after the first dose? I'm wondering if it might be an indication that I underdosed? Maybe I underestimated the net volume of my tank? Has anyone ever checked the feces of their fish after dosing with levamisole? Were there still eggs for a few days?

I'll add some videos of what I found with the microscope later on, just need to edit and upload them...

Cabie

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2018
Here are the videos, make sure you set the video quality at 720p HD so they don't look blurry.

(January 8th) Capillaria eggs at 400x:

(January 8th) Not sure what this is, dead worm or fiber? At 100x and 400x:

(January 8th) This looks like spironucleus to me, what do you think? At 400x:

(January 11th, feces probably from previous day) Are these dead worms or fibers? The size doesn't look right to be worms when side by side with the eggs (the blurry oval shapes are eggs in the first part, at 40x).

(January 12th, feces from previous day) A moving worm, at 100x. Is it capillaria or another species? It kind of looks like a nematode, but since the poop was not fresh, there were lots of moving things in there, like rotifers, rhabdocoela, etc, so it could also be a harmless nematode species. But if it's a nematode, that is a bit worrysome, since levamisole should have killed any kind of nematodes, shouldn't it?

(January 12th, feces from previous day) As you can see, there are still lots of capillaria eggs. I'm not sure if those are dead worms in the first part? At 100x:
https://youtu.be/bJIYI1GyaiA

(January 12th, feces from previous day) I have no idea what this is:
https://youtu.be/a03ZPUrk-d8

Cabie

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2018
You need to treat 3 times total. Space it out 3 weeks apart. Keep tank clean. Gravel vac. Only does for the appropriate amount of time then do a large water change.
Were you still seeing eggs with your microscope after the first dose?

Cabie

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2018
Pretty sure I did. After second pass it was gone.
Thanks, that's a relief!

I'll try measuring the next dose with a scale instead of with teaspoons and I think I'll just dose for the full volume of the aquarium instead of trying to estimate the net volume, to make sure I'm not underestimating anything.

Cabie

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2018
I re-dosed again on January 14, this time with 0,6 grams.

I checked his feces again today and there were still a lot of capillaria eggs. But I also saw some eggs that seemed to be different. There weren't many of them, less than 10. Do they look like nematode eggs? What's the difference between nematode eggs and tapeworms eggs?

Here's something else I observed on January 8: some of the capillaria eggs were transparent, like they were empty. What does this mean? Are they eggs that have hatched? Unfertilized eggs? At 100x:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store