Stingray cough ?

Scoot123

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2017
So I picked up a BD female about 4 days ago and Yesterday I was closely watching her and I seen her stomach area twitch real hard about 3-4 times and her stand up on her paddles and what seems to look like a cough or maybe possible vomit since a few dark pieces of something were floating around afterwards. I’ve never experienced anything like this.. she could also be possibly pregnant if there’s such thing as stingray morning sickness since she was a little tore up from a male when I received her but only time will tell with that since she’s no where near showing. She has still yet to eat and doesn’t even acknowledge there’s food in the tank. Have added prazi and kept the water clean. Not sure what the next step I should take is other then salt to bring her stress levels down a bit. I usually wouldn’t stress since she was in the car for 4hrs but the twitch/cough has me worried now.

E73C7B47-F6B1-41E2-ADE0-35C25E6DA627.jpeg

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
Id give her time and keep doing what youre doing. Transport is alot of stress on a ray especially if she's pregnant. I'm sure the more experienced with pregnant rays team will check in shortly

Reactions: Scoot123

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Likely from stress. Seen a member with similar and the ray recovered. Wait it out.

Scoot123

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2017
I hope so! I usually don’t stress but the twitching I’ve never seen before.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Sounds like a classic case of Gill flukes from what you are saying regards the cough. Do you notice her breathing from only one spiracle?
Does one of both spiracle go an irregular beat when the ray coughs? Carry on with the Prazi. Do you run UV?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store